FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 10-06-2016, 04:25 PM

sometimes after rain the current can be totally unmanageable. Right now the water should be very low. I can tell you that a 14 ft Jon boat with a 30 lb motor could make it upstream if I kept out of the center channel where the biggest current is. But your boat might be different. The only way to know is to try it.

In my book you always fish upstream on a river. That way if your motor goes out or something happens you can drift back down to your car and trailer. If you fish downstream from there and your motor goes out you are out of luck.

The area upstream of Fred White is nice and gentle current. There is a rapid a couple miles upstream as I recall that will eventually stop you.. well past the I65 overpass...

I'd suggest putting in at Fred White and take it a step at a time.. see how it goes and gradually expand your area to fish. If you can't make headway you'll know it pretty fast. If you want to try it I'd be happy to go along with you for a day... just PM me and let's go fishing.. I know going alone on a strange river can be pretty intimidating.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron County Hillbilly View Post
Relatively new to area and wondering if there are any areas of the Duck River around Columbia or nearby where one can fish for LM or SM bass from a jon boat with an electric motor only. Due to my age, ease of launching and landing are an issue, hence the jon boat. Would appreciate your advice.
I'm not sure if I'll be doing it this fall, but certainly will be next summer, when the water temp on the Williamsport Lakes make fishing very difficult. May I hold on to your invite for future use? I'm sure I will take advantage of your gracious offer.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:35 PM

Whenever you feel like going.. I'm always looking for an excuse...
Old 10-12-2016, 08:49 PM

Shaugh, I sent you a private message.