FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-31-2019, 02:56 PM

Default JPP Accident

Does anyone know what happened on JPP last night in regards to the boating accident? The news has been very tight lipped about it.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:40 PM

Don't know anything. Terrible to hear.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:42 PM
Dakota S

Sad he was only 42. Guys be safe on the water!! I try to do my best when I’m out there.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/on...cy-priest-lake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2019, 04:47 PM
Dakota S

More info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2019, 10:17 AM

I just wonder if there was a tournament going on ?
Old 06-01-2019, 04:31 PM
eksfish

One news channel said they were fishing a Tournament.
One of my fears as all the electronics screens get bigger with more information on the displays, it starts becoming like distracted driving. Looking down at just for a couple seconds can be deadly.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksfish View Post
One news channel said they were fishing a Tournament.
One of my fears as all the electronics screens get bigger with more information on the displays, it starts becoming like distracted driving. Looking down at just for a couple seconds can be deadly.
I don't think electronics should be to blame. I wouldn't think about fishing at night without my electronics. That's what I use to navigate with. You just have to be very careful. I use a spotlight and my electronics. I stare at my map at least 50% of the time and shine my spotlight out the rest to make sure there are no bouys, boats, debris, etc. There is always that very very small chance that there is someone out there without any lights on. I just hope they never end up on my path.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:58 PM

There was a Tourn at the same time out of Saunders around 6 pm. It was the first time I've ever seen so many purdy high dollar high speed bass boats in one place. It was a sight to be seen with all of them taking off at the same time.

I can see how someone taking the lead and making a turn in front of another boat and not be seen and being T boned.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:33 PM

At night I turn my graph backlight way down. The normal brightness always messes up my night vision. When I see a boat in my path, a lot of times it’s hard to tell if it’s coming or going until it gets in range to see the tiny green/red lights. When in doubt, I always come off plane.

I hate to see that happen. If you are coming through the channel under the bridge, you should have clear visibility unless one of the boats was coming out of the cove on the South side of Hobson Pike. Then I could see how it would be hard to avoid.

Last edited by Jlg309; 06-02-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I don't think electronics should be to blame. I wouldn't think about fishing at night without my electronics. That's what I use to navigate with. You just have to be very careful. I use a spotlight and my electronics. I stare at my map at least 50% of the time and shine my spotlight out the rest to make sure there are no bouys, boats, debris, etc. There is always that very very small chance that there is someone out there without any lights on. I just hope they never end up on my path.
Just recently read that navigating with a spotlight or headlight is illegal in TN , can't find it on TWRAs boating rules and regs though, was getting ready to order some RAK lights to help with navigating at night

Anyone else know anything about this?
Old 06-02-2019, 06:47 PM

Bottom line is don't go out at night if you aren't familiar with the lake your on. 10:00 seems to be the sweet spot for me. Most drunks and stupid ski boaters are off the water by then.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:39 PM
eksfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
My "distracted driving " comment pertains to day or night. Electronics aren't the blame. Just like cell phones aren't to blame for texting and driving. We've all seen it and done it runniing along at 30, 40,50 mph+ changing screen panels, views etc on our graphs. As lakes get more crowded and availability of these units are more readily available at lower costs. It's something we need to be aware.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
Just recently read that navigating with a spotlight or headlight is illegal in TN , can't find it on TWRAs boating rules and regs though, was getting ready to order some RAK lights to help with navigating at night

Anyone else know anything about this?
That sounds crazy to me. I'm interested in reading this somewhere if you can find a link. That sounds like the dumbest law I've ever heard if true. A lot of time at night it's very hard to be accurate on distances when you see other people's lights on their boat. That's when I rely on a spotlight most. Sometimes it looks like a boat may be just a few hundred feet from you when in reality they are hundreds of yards away.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksfish View Post
My "distracted driving " comment pertains to day or night. Electronics aren't the blame. Just like cell phones aren't to blame for texting and driving. We've all seen it and done it runniing along at 30, 40,50 mph+ changing screen panels, views etc on our graphs. As lakes get more crowded and availability of these units are more readily available at lower costs. It's something we need to be aware.
Yea you are right.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehick176 View Post
Bottom line is don't go out at night if you aren't familiar with the lake your on. 10:00 seems to be the sweet spot for me. Most drunks and stupid ski boaters are off the water by then.
Your comment is very true about not going out at night unless your very familiar with the lake your on. I had a heart stopping moment on Dale Hollow this spring. I was fishing a part of the lake I'm not really familiar with when I came upon a very small island in the middle of the lake. I was fishing during the day. When I looked at my navionics map it showed the island as being water that was 40 feet deep. I thought man that looks like a good fishing spot so I went and fished around it. Then all of a sudden it dawned on me that if I were running around at night this little island could kill me. It's basically a huge rock that sticks out of the water about 10-15 feet at summer pool and it's about the size of 2 bass boats. I called navionics to voice my concern and they were very polite and seemed to take my concern very seriously. They called me a couple times after that to ask some questions and told me I would get an email when they finished their investigation. I haven't gotten an email though. I just remember how fast my heart started beating when I realized how easy someone could hit this thing at night by driving off the map only.