FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-05-2018, 03:53 PM

Default Wilson County Chevy Dealership Rant

OK, So I really don't think this applies so much to fishing, however it's a man thing and that is what we are all about. I had a check engine light pop on my diesel truck. I researched it to a tee, I watched all the tube videos, I knew mostly everything about the fault and how to make the repair. I received a recall notice a few months ago...I was seriously concerned as it would cause my truck to go in limp mode. Now, I travel and build power plants so I'm always pulling my 5th wheel across this wonderful country and that is simply unacceptable to have a problem on the road. I contemplated just getting the parts and doing it myself when I had my winter break as I am so eccentric about my mechanical things and do all my own service....I really had reservations and contemplated even trading in my truck for another one over this. I called around to all the GM dealers and was treated a like a punk until I contacted Wilson County Chevrolet. I spoke with Mr. Steven in the service department and explained my concern and (PO) trouble code that I had pulled from my code reader. I almost backed out, however he was so professional and courteous I began to feel that not all stealers were the same. We exchanged conversations a few times over the past few days and he assured me my concern would be not an issue at his service department as all of the technicians were Master ASME Tech's...I asked if a courtesy vehicle would be available as I'm a MGMOW and didn't have another ride around. Mr. Steven indicated he didn't have anything currently available, however he would do his best to make sure my stay would be comfortable and when he could obtain a vehicle he would do so as my service appointment would be more than a few hours or so due to the complexity of the service...Three days later I was scheduled for my service, he indicated I should be 15-30 min early to get in the service line. I arrived first in-line and the folks out there were incredibly professional. Mr. Steven listened again to my concerns and general anxiety rambling about someone working on my truck...he and his service girls allowed me to speak to the Master Diesel Service Technician who would be operating on my truck...super, super guy who indicated it was not an concern. I was lead to the customer service lounge...kind of still having some anxiety by-the-way. Ten minuets later Mr Steven summoned me with one of his service girls and indicated he had a choice of vehicles for me to choose for my transportation. I chose the 2018 Chevy truck (because I'm old and fat and prefer the comfort), his service girl had me out of there in a few minuets and as I was driving home I felt oddly, somewhat at ease. A few hours later Mr. Steven phoned me indicating my truck was available for pick-up. When I arrived Mr. Steven explained to me the service and actions taken to repair my vehicle. There wasn't any greasy hand prints on my cashmere interior, no residue on the steering wheel, no foot prints on the floorboards (unlike before at a service in Texas for another issue I had)....kind of still pissed about that actually. I digress, however.

If you guys hate being treated like a second class punk...I highly suggest you call Wilson County Chevy GM for your needs. Mr. Steven and the service department guys and girls performed admirably and I whole hearty endorse the service department and Mr. Steven... because we all know...messing with our truck or boat is very personnel and not to be treated lightly in any event.

Off Rant.

Last edited by notorious; 01-05-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:32 PM

good deal... its rare in this world to get that kind of service!
Old 01-05-2018, 06:24 PM

Bought my truck from Wilson co after getting totally disrespected by Serra in river gate. Got a much better deal and great customer service when getting truck serviced. They are the real deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2018, 01:03 PM
Owner and Administrator

Angry Not Me !! ... <'TK><

First off let me say this by stating that I have purchased three vehicles from Wilson County Motors when it was owned by HB Cunningham but now owned by a Mega Conglomerate dealership Corp. This is my experience with WCM that happened two months ago.

I have An older Tahoe which was purchased from WCM, but for sometime now I have always tried to maintain it myself or carry it to Webster Bros. Garage for more technical issues. I had developed a bearing noise and determined it was a belt idler pulley. Well Webster Bros. after 45 years had closed shop and retired. (Wendel Webster is my neighbor and an old Racing Buddy) Do to my physical condition I can no longer perform under the hood repairs. So I decided to take it to WCM.

So I get in line and was met with one of the Service Dept. Girls. Very friendly and courteous. I told her What my problem was and showed her the Pulley in question. She said she would take it back and have it diagnosed. I said no just replace it. She said that the problem would have to be diagnosed first to determine that this was the problem. I was getting to the point of getting perturbed by her not following my request. I asked how long this would take after going to the service tech ... She left and returned.. and said about an hour and a half.

At this time I asked what it would cost for the part and labor. She left and came back, which she had to do about every time I asked a question. Here is the break down of the cost: $212.00 for labor which included diagnostics, replacement labor, and incidentals (shop rags, hand cleaner etc.) $61.00 for the pulley. I told her to get my truck out of the line and that was ridiculous. I went to O'Rileys and bought a name brand Guaranteed for life pulley for $21.00. and then took my truck to Mark Fletcher who owns Watertown Tire and he put it on for $20.00 in about ten Min's. (By the way, great turn key out the door prices on tires.)

So for me the bottom line is, if your vehicle is fairly new and especially warranted WCM is the place to go. If it is older and you have a lot of money it is the place to go. But there are a number of local Garages with certified techs who can handle your problems for usually less than half the $$ than WCM. PS. I was also contacted by WCM via internet for a survey which I filled out. The next day I received a call from the Service Manager. We had a GREAT TALK! .... <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 01-07-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:37 PM

TK, great writeup, i agree 100% dealerships are for cars under warrenty and those with money to burn. I had a similar experience was quoted over $1100 to replace some O2 sensors!! bought the part online for $90 and had local shop install for $90 saving over $900!!
Old 01-07-2018, 09:08 AM

TK, Hate to hear you haven't had such a good go around with Wilson County Chevy. I couldn't fill this page with the bad experiences I have had with "services" regardless to the application. I started as a kid fixing everything I had because I was so poor. I developed my skills onto, much like most of us guys here, being able to build or rebuild anything we had. The service cost today are all 45.-70. clams an hour well beyond my willingness to pay so I plan and spend the day doing my service; it takes about three times as much time now due to age and conditioning although.
My experience there was for warranty work and pleasantly positive, I agree with perhaps not taking an older vehicle there for a simple repair as you know you will drop a 100 bucks at a minimum simply due to the service fee before parts...I guess that's personal based on time/availability/urgency and the like...sometimes it is the lesser of two evils. I am about as persnickety as they come when someone is mysteriously working on my equipment without my oversight due to bad experiences that fall into the categories I mentioned prior. I watched a mechanic doing burnouts on a customers HD in the lot once and he was laughing, when the smoke cleared he said the customer would never know (HD stealer on the Blue Ridge Parkway). I watch a customers bike engine seize in front of (HD Nash) after an NO-oil change. So yep, bad experiences happen to folks all the time I could go on and on with marine mechanics, heavy equipment, electricians, welders, roofers and the like...rarer are positive experiences.

Last edited by notorious; 01-07-2018 at 01:00 PM.