FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-07-2018, 09:16 PM

Default Opti-2

Have any of y’all tried opti-2? I’ve been using it for years and a friend said that it’s not good for outboards.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:23 PM
Fishing Fool

Never heard of it. What is it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2018, 07:14 PM

It’s a 2 stroke oil with fuel stabilizer already in it.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:35 PM
Fishing Fool

I see a lot of good info on the web. A lot of it has to do with oil mixture. Did your friend give any reason as to why it’s not good for outboards??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2018, 08:37 AM

For $66 per gallon I think I'll stick with Evinrude XD-100 from https://www.domo-online.com/

Then there is this theory also:
Don't use an oil designed for air cooled 2-strokes in a water-cooled 2-stroke outboard and vise versa. An outboard has a cooler operating temperature than an air cooled 2-stroke engine.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 01-10-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:18 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Yep ... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
For $66 per gallon I think I'll stick with Evinrude XD-100 from https://www.domo-online.com/

Then there is this theory also:
Don't use an oil designed for air cooled 2-strokes in a water-cooled 2-stroke outboard and vise versa. An outboard has a cooler operating temperature than an air cooled 2-stroke engine.
All outboard oil manufacturers blend in to their oil a synthetic additive. You will notice, it is listed on the container ... TCW-3. It stands for Two Stroke Water cooled -3rd upgrade. It controls a number of things during combustion some of which is ash and other residues and adds more lubrication. <'TK><
Old 01-11-2018, 11:42 PM
ALANRAYG2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
All outboard oil manufacturers blend in to their oil a synthetic additive. You will notice, it is listed on the container ... TCW-3. It stands for Two Stroke Water cooled -3rd upgrade. It controls a number of things during combustion some of which is ash and other residues and adds more lubrication. <'TK><
Thanks TK, I have had that question on my mind for years. I never think of looking up the answer while I'm on the computer.
While I am at this what is your opinion of a full synthetic TCW-3 vs a synthetic blend in a 1998 225 Evinrude. I was thinking it might reduce the smoke cloud that I get with a regular TCW-3 oil.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:30 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Smoke !! <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANRAYG2 View Post
Thanks TK, I have had that question on my mind for years. I never think of looking up the answer while I'm on the computer.
While I am at this what is your opinion of a full synthetic TCW-3 vs a synthetic blend in a 1998 225 Evinrude. I was thinking it might reduce the smoke cloud that I get with a regular TCW-3 oil.
Alan, with the age of your Big Block Rue... I would Stay with with conventional outboard oil with TCW-3 ... SMOKE IS GOOD! in any two stroke ... When you see Smoke you, what you are seeing a full lube cycle of the internal parts of the bearings and bushings. Remember the fuel/oil goes through the crankcase to lubricate before it is burned in the cylinders. Now I have not had a lot of experience with 100% synthetic two stroke oil and I am sure it is good stuff. But engineered 2 stroke oil with a synthetic TCW-3 additive would be my choice in your 20 year old motor.
Now the 2 stroke cloud appears at start up and idling ... Now if the cloud bothers you I don't know that a 100% synthetic will correct what a 2 stroke does. SMOKE... WHICH IS GOOOOOD! .... Hope this helps ... <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 01-12-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:08 PM
ALANRAYG2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Alan, with the age of your Big Block Rue... I would Stay with with conventional outboard oil with TCW-3 ... SMOKE IS GOOD! in any two stroke ... When you see Smoke you, what you are seeing a full lube cycle of the internal parts of the bearings and bushings. Remember the fuel/oil goes through the crankcase to lubricate before it is burned in the cylinders. Now I have not had a lot of experience with 100% synthetic two stroke oil and I am sure it is good stuff. But engineered 2 stroke oil with a synthetic TCW-3 additive would be my choice in your 20 year old motor.
Now the 2 stroke cloud appears at start up and idling ... Now if the cloud bothers you I don't know that a 100% synthetic will correct what a 2 stroke does. SMOKE... WHICH IS GOOOOOD! .... Hope this helps ... <'TK><
TK thanks for your input. I was thinking along the same line of thought as you. It's almost embarrassing sitting on the lake smoking like a freight train.....lol If I make a good run for several miles it really helps with the smoking.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:00 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile A little more info <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANRAYG2 View Post
TK thanks for your input. I was thinking along the same line of thought as you. It's almost embarrassing sitting on the lake smoking like a freight train.....lol If I make a good run for several miles it really helps with the smoking.
Alan, When first firing the motor and let it idle what happens is that in 2 strokes, the motor starts to load up the fuel system which is caused by the base compression creating back pressure, no matter Carbs or Fuel Injection. Also you are exhausting through the Prop which is close to the surface ... Sometimes you even see Puff Bubbles reaching the surface like a cig smoker blowing rings. ... But like you said after you get out of stagnate water and have some current and the exhaust is not trapped it isn't that noticeable.

Now to be honest some manufacturers of certain outboards smoke more than others by design ... depending on how the combustion chamber is designed ... Example is it a looper or a crossfire, or other design. ... <'TK><