FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 11-20-2017, 05:24 PM

Default Do you clean your fishing rods?

I'll admit, I have never cleaned a rod other than to wipe garage dust off of them with a damp cloth. Is there some kind of cleaning solution that actually cleans and imparts some kind of benefit to the blank? Is it just to keep them clean for aesthetic reasons?
Old 11-20-2017, 05:56 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepomis View Post
I'll admit, I have never cleaned a rod other than to wipe garage dust off of them with a damp cloth. Is there some kind of cleaning solution that actually cleans and imparts some kind of benefit to the blank? Is it just to keep them clean for aesthetic reasons?
You bet I clean mine. The guides most assuredly need cleaning. They will get scum in them just like on the side of a boat.....micro guides needing it almost every trip. My JDM rods have micro guides that are very tiny so wouldn't take long to foul them up...reducing casting distance. I clean the blank with water and dry...then use 303...a UV protectant....it also helps to keep it looking new. On rods that have cork handles I keep them clean with wet cloth...and if I have a lot of oil build up from my hands I will gently use a Magic Eraser to clean them...then put on a coat of U-40 cork sealant. I have a large investment in my rods and I want to keep them up as best as I can.....the rod I keep in my boat for a guest fisherman is also a JDM rod and I want my guests to fish with something that is not only high quality but something that looks good.

Regards
Old 11-20-2017, 08:10 PM

I clean mine at least once a year. I get all the grime off the cork or foam and clean out the guides and rod.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:21 PM

I'll wash mine a few times a year and wipe down. My striper stuff I will wash about every other trip. On my saltwater trips I wash mine 100% of the time, and again when I get home.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:15 PM

About once a month for me. Damp cloth for handles and rod. Qtip with alcohol for guides and little nooks and crannies in the reel seat
Old 11-20-2017, 10:21 PM

I clean the guides when they look dirty. Use Q-tip mostly on micro guides or just water on a rag for larger guides. I clean the grips monthly or sooner if they look dirty. Magic eraser is the best cleaning tool I have found for grips (cork). I oil and lube reels about 3 times a year.

I wash my rod every day. Just use soap and water. Saves having to wash my hands so often.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:03 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Mmmmmm... <'TK><

Sambolie, be careful, the main stream media and A listers may go back and look at your teenage personal hygiene habits .... <'TK><
Old 11-21-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Sambolie, be careful, the main stream media and A listers may go back and look at your teenage personal hygiene habits .... <'TK><
TK, I have no plans to get into politics so the media can kiss each other's donkey? MEDIA.jpg
Old 11-21-2017, 08:46 AM

Thumbs up I do oil my reels.

I fish in the rain every now and then and feel that keeps the rods clean.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:54 AM

I clean mine once a year (or as needed) following the same methods everyone has mentioned. After cleaning the guides, run a dry q-tip back through the guides.This is an easy way to tell if there are any snags in the guides that could be damaging your line.