FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 02-08-2018, 03:04 AM

Default Normandy lake

Hey there, first post on the forum. I'm 30 years old and am planning a fishing trip with my grandparents early 70s. We mainly fish stained low visibility waters up here in illinois and want a peaceful vacation to fish. Mainly bass fishing and a little striper fishing. We will be planning the trip for 3rd week of April. We don't have much experience fishing clear water and was wondering if Normandy lake was clear water? Or if anyone has any ideas on a lake that won't have a bunch of boats on it thats good bass fishing with water that isnt too clear. We stayed on sale hollow one year and it was a beautiful lake but we didn't catch many fish. We're so used to fish in shallow dirty water. We heard chick and watts bar get alot of people on the lake and we kinda don't want that. Something relaxing but a lake that fits our style of fishing and normandy looked decent. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 02-08-2018, 07:49 AM

I wouldn't consider Normandy super clear but if you're used to fishing stained water you might. It can be a tough lake for bass but there is a lot of quality fish in Normandy. I would look at the Tennessee River chain of lakes if catching fish is one of your main focuses. If you're going to be fishing during the week the crowds won't be too bad but fishing would most likely be better barring high water. One bright side to Normandy during the week that time of year there will be very few boats on the lake.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:16 AM

Thanks for letting me know. How clear would you say it is? 3-4 foot clarity? We are considering all options for lakes. Watts bar was another one we was look in into
Old 02-08-2018, 10:22 AM

April typically produces good fishing on Dale Hollow. Rains will add color to creeks that will aid in your quest, however a massive footprint may be needed to locate your particular preference. Jerk baits, jigs and swim baits would be my choices. Clear line, patience, and working the bait(s) on structure going deep will produce, large numbers of fish is not a common occurrence on DH without considerable experience, however quality fish is considered the norm. Dave (fishfindergeneral) who is on this forum is a guide whom specializes in trolling would be worth every penny spent for a trip if I were to offer a suggestion.

Normandy is, in my mind a smaller sister of DH and should be fished accordingly. Crappie on Normandy can be outstanding during March and April as well. Normandy is small enough to locate various types of water color, temperature, and structure.

Agelesssone of nashvillefishingguides.com is another guide that may be of assistance and is quite accomplished in Middle Tennessee

Last edited by notorious; 02-08-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:50 AM

Thank you so much. What we are accustomed to Is lakes 20ft in depth or less. Water visibility of maybe 12 to 18 inches. Depending on rain. So we fish shallow water. Deep clear water is our krypronite. Is there any stained water lakes you recommend? Watts bar? It doesnt have to be a giant lake something with cabins nearby Is preferred. Really appreciate the help guys.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:15 AM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin62882 View Post
Thank you so much. What we are accustomed to Is lakes 20ft in depth or less. Water visibility of maybe 12 to 18 inches. Depending on rain. So we fish shallow water. Deep clear water is our krypronite. Is there any stained water lakes you recommend? Watts bar? It doesnt have to be a giant lake something with cabins nearby Is preferred. Really appreciate the help guys.

Sounds like you need to fish old hickory lake. It’s a shallower lake and will be on fire in April. And it has the water color you are looking for. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2018, 12:22 PM

Check out Rick McFerrin's site:
http://tennesseebassguides.com/?p=2054
Lots of quality info on Normandy fishing.
We have had luck with red shad raps, silver and black x-raps, and bluegill colored grubs in the past. Fish slowly from the points into the coves until you can see bottom.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Hey there, first post on the forum. I'm 30 years old and am planning a fishing trip with my grandparents early 70s. We mainly fish stained low visibility waters up here in illinois and want a peaceful vacation to fish. Mainly bass fishing and a little striper fishing. We will be planning the trip for 3rd week of April. We don't have much experience fishing clear water and was wondering if Normandy lake was clear water? Or if anyone has any ideas on a lake that won't have a bunch of boats on it thats good bass fishing with water that isnt too clear. We stayed on sale hollow one year and it was a beautiful lake but we didn't catch many fish. We're so used to fish in shallow dirty water. We heard chick and watts bar get alot of people on the lake and we kinda don't want that. Something relaxing but a lake that fits our style of fishing and normandy looked decent. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
I live near Normandy and fish it pretty regularly. Based on your post, I don't think Normandy would be the best choice. At least not without a guide. It can be a tricky lake to find the fish, but there is quality to be found. IMO the water is typically more clear than other area lakes.

As others have suggested, I'd recommend the TN river chain of lakes. Chickamauga, Guntersville (northern Alabama), or KY lake might be better options. I'm also partial to nickajack, probably because it's closest to me.

If you are set on vacationing in the Normandy lake area, I'd recommend fishing Wood's reservoir or Tim's Ford over Normandy. There's less of a learning curve IMO. Wood's is also a little shallower and tends toward stained water.

Edit: will you have a boat?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited by DolphinJay; 02-09-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:47 PM

Thank you. That helps. Yeah we will be pulling a boat with us. Guntersville looks good and chick as well
Old 02-09-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Thank you. That helps. Yeah we will be pulling a boat with us. Guntersville looks good and chick as well

G-ville or Chick will blow all those other lakes away. I will be on check the week after you leave for 5 days, Can't wait.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:05 AM
nashvillefishingguides.co

If you want to get your string stretched to the limit (and beyond), fish Tims Ford or Percy Priest right outside Nashville.
Slow troll (1.2 MPH) Arigs around the big Island by the dam, on (Tims Ford)
The stripers and hybrids will range from 5-20 lbs and are some hard hittin and fightin fish.
Normandy is a very tough lake to fish, I know many good anglers who come home with skunk in the boat.
Give me a call when you get here and I'll give you a fishing report of the fishing on Priest, my home lake.

Last edited by agelesssone; 02-10-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
Normandy is a very tough lake to fish, I know many good anglers who come home with skunk in the boat.

That's a mighty nice complement there, Thanks.

I suck at Normandy.

Last edited by XxthejuicexX; 02-11-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Master Trout Magnet

I can’t imagine Normandy Lake being a “destination lake” for any specie of fish. Yes there are fish in Normandy and people catch fish there but I only live 37 miles from there and I only have had my boat on it a couple of times...and my kayak on it twice in about 7 years. Many don’t...and many do....know the lake has to be aerated to support the fish there. Just not a place I would recommend for someone making a long trip.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
I can’t imagine Normandy Lake being a “destination lake” for any specie of fish. Yes there are fish in Normandy and people catch fish there but I only live 37 miles from there and I only have had my boat on it a couple of times...and my kayak on it twice in about 7 years. Many don’t...and many do....know the lake has to be aerated to support the fish there. Just not a place I would recommend for someone making a long trip.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
^
THIS!

I am 30 Miles from Normandy and stay away from it..... Mostly, stupid Walleye.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:44 AM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
That's a mighty nice complement there, Thanks.

I suck at Normandy.
I made that statement, being one of those fishermen who get skunked (or very nearly so) at that lake.

I like the lake, rarely fish it, (85 miles away from me) but do terrible on it.