FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-29-2019, 11:23 PM

Default Lews Tournament MB review

As many of you know I have been on a crash course with learning about baitcasters. After buying a Alba Garcia Revo and not really liking the feel. A friend recommended a Lews. In March I purchased a Lews FLS 6.8:1 at BPS for $99 and mounted it to a Med Modified 7' Garcia and I absolutely love it. Talk about a confidence builder. This is my crankbait setup

Well last week I decided I needed to replace the Fishdrops reel I sold and decided to go with the Lews Tournament MB 7.5:1 off Amazon for $99 and mounted it to a 7' MH extra fast action. This will be my frog, worm & jig rod..

Its a step up from the Lews FLS model as this one has internal centrifugal switches as well as your external. It is as smooth and quiet as you can expect from a reel. I used it a little bit Saturday, but gave it a workout here at the house with a practice 3/8 oz plug. I'm finding this reel is allowing me to cast further than any other reel so far. I think on a good cast I'm getting every bit of 40-45 yds with no backlash.

I know some of y'all are into more expensive reels however I'm sure there are guys like myself that can't justify $300 for a reel.

Oh and my Alba Garcia Revo SX..? I find that the bearings feel cheap as it emits a slight vibration and is noisy when casting. I have to stay more focused on this reel. However I found that it cast better with heavier weighted lures and jigs like 1/2 oz.

So far by far I'm thoroughly sold on Lews brand... Quieter and by far smoothest baitcaster I've used to date and that says a lot considering 6 mos ago that if I even LOOKED at a BC it would birdnest, never mind backlash.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:35 AM
Fishing Fool

I love lews! Most of my reels are lews. Another good reel that you might want to try are the bass pro shops pro qualifier. I have 1 lews BB1 reel and it’s even better than the LFS series. They are a little more expensive but well worth the money.

Once you get more in tune with the reels I highly recommend getting a set of ceramic bearings for a reel. It makes a huge difference in casting ease and distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
I love lews! Most of my reels are lews. Another good reel that you might want to try are the bass pro shops pro qualifier. I have 1 lews BB1 reel and it’s even better than the LFS series. They are a little more expensive but well worth the money.

Once you get more in tune with the reels I highly recommend getting a set of ceramic bearings for a reel. It makes a huge difference in casting ease and distance.

You mean I can make my Lews even better ? How is that possible ? LOL
Now the Garcia needs work. I wonder how much that would cost ?
Old 04-30-2019, 01:13 PM

Don’t want to start any brand wars as I have many different brands of reels but my new favorite for the price is Diawa fuego ct. can get it on amazon for $85. My favorite reels are my Diawa tatula twsv but are a bit pricey at $199. The fuego is pretty much the same reel except t-wing and sv spool. Aluminum frame at a very good price.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:23 PM

Lews makes awesome reels. I have a couple. They perform great. The only thing I don't like is the handle
Old 04-30-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddyyak View Post
Don’t want to start any brand wars as I have many different brands of reels but my new favorite for the price is Diawa fuego ct. can get it on amazon for $85. My favorite reels are my Diawa tatula twsv but are a bit pricey at $199. The fuego is pretty much the same reel except t-wing and sv spool. Aluminum frame at a very good price.

I've heard others talk about the Diawa fuego as well. I guess at this point I'll wait until I can get my hands on one and try it out first.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:47 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
You mean I can make my Lews even better ? How is that possible ? LOL
Now the Garcia needs work. I wonder how much that would cost ?

Yes!!! Here’s the company I used. Look them up on social media.

https://www.spoolhi-speed.com

Boca bearings is also another reputable company. Depending on how far you want to go, depends on the price. I did my bass pro shop Johnny Morris carbon lite and it made a night and day difference in that piece of junk!!! Lol But, here’s the negative to it all, they’re noisy. But if you watch any of the BASS live or any other pro tour, you’ll notice that their reels are noisy also. And that’s why, they’ve changed out the bearings.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
As many of you know I have been on a crash course with learning about baitcasters. After buying a Alba Garcia Revo and not really liking the feel. A friend recommended a Lews. In March I purchased a Lews FLS 6.8:1 at BPS for $99 and mounted it to a Med Modified 7' Garcia and I absolutely love it. Talk about a confidence builder. This is my crankbait setup

Well last week I decided I needed to replace the Fishdrops reel I sold and decided to go with the Lews Tournament MB 7.5:1 off Amazon for $99 and mounted it to a 7' MH extra fast action. This will be my frog, worm & jig rod..

Its a step up from the Lews FLS model as this one has internal centrifugal switches as well as your external. It is as smooth and quiet as you can expect from a reel. I used it a little bit Saturday, but gave it a workout here at the house with a practice 3/8 oz plug. I'm finding this reel is allowing me to cast further than any other reel so far. I think on a good cast I'm getting every bit of 40-45 yds with no backlash.

I know some of y'all are into more expensive reels however I'm sure there are guys like myself that can't justify $300 for a reel.

Oh and my Alba Garcia Revo SX..? I find that the bearings feel cheap as it emits a slight vibration and is noisy when casting. I have to stay more focused on this reel. However I found that it cast better with heavier weighted lures and jigs like 1/2 oz.

So far by far I'm thoroughly sold on Lews brand... Quieter and by far smoothest baitcaster I've used to date and that says a lot considering 6 mos ago that if I even LOOKED at a BC it would birdnest, never mind backlash.

I have a revo x and love it , also have an Abu Pro Max and a Silver Max which work great, , have a Tatula CT100, a Lews MGS and a Kastking royal legend

Just started using baitcasters 2 years ago , no luck with Lews products though, my first baitcaster a lews Mark Rose edition bit the dust this year, had 3 Lews spinning reels go down on me too, scared to spend too much on a Lews product at this point