FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-27-2019, 06:52 PM

Default Looking for a new rod/reel combo?

I figured I would do a review of sorts on a rod and reel I purchased about a month ago. I purchased a Shimano Metanium MGL reel in 8.5:1 gear ratio and paired it with a Kistler Helium 3 in 7'3" heavy xtra fast action. I know this is an expensive set up but man it's a dream to fish. This setup is very light and the rod is Very Very sensitive. I purchased everything from Tackle Warehouse and I had never held that rod or reel before.

At first I thought the rod felt tip heavy and I wouldn't like it but after fishing it for a while I have grown to really like it. It's a great jig rod and overall flipping and pitching rod. The rod is heavy action but has a nice soft tip and is very sensitive.

The Shimano Metanium MGL is the bees knees. It's very light and very smooth casting. So far the drag seems perfect. With some fine tuning you can bomb casts and it will absolutely not backlash.

I know this sounds like some kind of paid endorsement but nothing can be farther from the truth. I am just that impressed by both. I've never done a review like this but if you guys are like me then a new rod/reel is never that far down the line.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:21 PM
Always Learning

Hey Man, thanks a lot. I don't have a rod that is over 7' 1" and as I think about stepping up, I wondered how a heavy with fast tip would perform. I love this kind of info and as I look at websites and read reviews, I also buy without ever laying hands on the combo. Not always convenient to go to BPS every time I need to buy a rod or reel. So, a comment like this goes a long way. I'll fish a rod or reel till it's grave in order to keep from having to decide on a new one. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I figured I would do a review of sorts on a rod and reel I purchased about a month ago. I purchased a Shimano Metanium MGL reel in 8.5:1 gear ratio and paired it with a Kistler Helium 3 in 7'3" heavy xtra fast action. I know this is an expensive set up but man it's a dream to fish. This setup is very light and the rod is Very Very sensitive. I purchased everything from Tackle Warehouse and I had never held that rod or reel before.

At first I thought the rod felt tip heavy and I wouldn't like it but after fishing it for a while I have grown to really like it. It's a great jig rod and overall flipping and pitching rod. The rod is heavy action but has a nice soft tip and is very sensitive.

The Shimano Metanium MGL is the bees knees. It's very light and very smooth casting. So far the drag seems perfect. With some fine tuning you can bomb casts and it will absolutely not backlash.

I know this sounds like some kind of paid endorsement but nothing can be farther from the truth. I am just that impressed by both. I've never done a review like this but if you guys are like me then a new rod/reel is never that far down the line.

Holy mother of mercy , you on a entire different level lol

If my wife knew I spent $250 on a Tatula combo she would kill me, can't even imagine her finding out I spend $700 on a combo lol
Old 04-30-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
Holy mother of mercy , you on a entire different level lol

If my wife knew I spent $250 on a Tatula combo she would kill me, can't even imagine her finding out I spend $700 on a combo lol
Lol. That's one reason I don't ever plan on getting married or having children
Old 05-01-2019, 01:38 PM

spent that much on a rod and Reel.Thanks! I needed this along with my guys at work..You the Big $$$ Bass Fisherman dude! Go on which cha bad self! Glad your happy with it!
Old 05-01-2019, 05:26 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Shoot....ain’t nothing but a thang.....LOL. If y’all think that is high....try buying some JDM gear.

Regards
Old 05-01-2019, 09:54 PM

And if you think JDM is crazy, try restoring a 1967 Camaro! Or upgrading trolling motors and electronics on your boat!!
Old 05-01-2019, 10:05 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
And if you think JDM is crazy, try restoring a 1967 Camaro! Or upgrading trolling motors and electronics on your boat!!
Well...I don't restore any cars....LOL. But the trolling motor and electronics have cost me.

Regards
Old 05-02-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
Well...I don't restore any cars....LOL. But the trolling motor and electronics have cost me.

Regards
Yes sir, I just bought a new Ultrex, Minn Kota 330 charger, and a Gen 3 Helix Mega 9. Worked overtime all fall and winter for it. And I love it all! Sure makes for a much more comfortable day of fishing.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:05 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Yes sir, I just bought a new Ultrex, Minn Kota 330 charger, and a Gen 3 Helix Mega 9. Worked overtime all fall and winter for it. And I love it all! Sure makes for a much more comfortable day of fishing.
It sure does.

Regards
Old 05-02-2019, 09:39 PM

The ultrex is my next purchase for my boat
Old 05-03-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
The ultrex is my next purchase for my boat
Best money I ever spent on a boat. The motor assisted foot pedal and spot lock make it easy to fish all day. World of difference at the end of the day if you have any back troubles. You're gonna love it!
Old 05-03-2019, 09:23 PM

Yep, just installed one a month ago. Spot lock in front of a dock then press a button on the remote and it moves you 5 feet to the right and spot locks you there. Fish from the front or back. It’s pretty cool technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Best money I ever spent on a boat. The motor assisted foot pedal and spot lock make it easy to fish all day. World of difference at the end of the day if you have any back troubles. You're gonna love it!
I should have one by the end of the year. I just bought a new(to me) vehicle last week to pull my boat with. Gotta do some saving. I do have back issues and I do have problems with my left knee. I stand on my left leg all day with my right leg on the trolling motor. I'm hoping I'll get a little relief.

Last edited by Texas_Rig; 05-04-2019 at 02:53 PM.