FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-04-2019, 02:44 AM

Thank you guys for the great advice, I'm not embarrassed to admit I'm a novice, thus this thread... This boat comes with a Lowrance® HOOK2 5 Combo color fishfinder w/SplitShot™ From my understanding it comes with gps and a lay out of all the lakes. How detailed I don't know. So Center hill definitely sounds like a good option while I learn the boat and how to operate the fish finder/ gps.

Farley, thank you sir, I just might take you up on your offer once I get things in order as the guy cancelled out meeting Thursday, Yesterday, because it was cold and nasty... Supposed to make the deal in the morning.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:06 PM

Lots of good advice here already!

I spend most of my time during the winter on JPP or Old Hickory.

As stated JPP has some rock piles and long points that can be hazards especially during the winter. The lower end between Hobson pike and the Dam is pretty safe all year. Just pay attention to those little white buoys that you can’t read unless you’re on top of them.

Old Hickory can have a lot of floating debris coming down the river after a lot of rain. Also lots of mud flats that come up from the channel pretty quickly. Just keep it between the navigation buoys and you’re good to go! (“Red Right Return” - if you are traveling toward the source of the lake/river/creek the red nav buoys should be on your right)

Pay attention to your GPS and run the channels until you get more comfortable with the lakes you are on. No shame in keeping speed under control until you get a feel for the boat as well.

Make sure you prep your boat to launch in the parking lot and not on the ramp. Take your time when prepping to launch. It’s easy to get excited to get on the water and forget an important step - plug, transom straps, Boat key, tilt/trim lock, PFD!!!, etc (promise I haven’t forgotten all of these at one time or another).

If the boat will not start check a couple simple things first:
-Is the boat in Neutral?
-Is the safety lanyard connected?
-Is the battery switch on?
-Did the fuel line get disconnected?

Have fun out there!
Old 01-04-2019, 07:53 PM

Again thanks FnF, I hope others benefit from this as well, I sure will. I'll probably fish Cordell Hull, Center Hill and the river here at the Rome Bridge. Bass Pro did confirm my Lowrance does have charts of all the lakes including OH, Priest also showing known hazards.

Anyhow I'd like to report that I did secure the deal this morning at a Waffle House over breakfast.. I'm now the owner of a 2019 Bass Tracker 175 Pro Team TXW
Old 01-04-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
Again thanks FnF, I hope others benefit from this as well, I sure will. I'll probably fish Cordell Hull, Center Hill and the river here at the Rome Bridge. Bass Pro did confirm my Lowrance does have charts of all the lakes including OH, Priest also showing known hazards.

Anyhow I'd like to report that I did secure the deal this morning at a Waffle House over breakfast.. I'm now the owner of a 2019 Bass Tracker 175 Pro Team TXW
Congrats on the boat! make lots of memories with it.
That Rome boat ramp doesnt have anything good to offer. Lol
Old 01-05-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:

The standard mapping on these units is just ok. You will be doing yourself a favor by purchasing a good mapping card. Lakemaster and Navionics are both great. Not only will you be able to navigate better but you will also be able to identify potential fishing spots. I went forever with preloaded mapping and caught fish but once I purchased a good chip, I was able to move away from the bank and fish offshore. This made me a much better fisherman and I've caught way more bass in the summertime. Long points and humps are a summertime game changer.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:57 AM

Took the boat out for its maiden voyage today and I have to say its everything I had hoped for. I decided to go to Center hill Dam and rode around getting the feel of the boat and trolling motor. I even had time to wet a line but didn't catch anything.

When you guys said it was a deep lake.. you weren't kidding. Located a bunch of fish around the 35 foot mark or what gave the impression of schools of fish. I mean there was nothing about or below.

Anyhow it was a great day fer the exception I lost my new grey fishing life jacket. I think it was on the lake...
Old 01-07-2019, 06:56 AM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
Took the boat out for its maiden voyage today and I have to say its everything I had hoped for. I decided to go to Center hill Dam and rode around getting the feel of the boat and trolling motor. I even had time to wet a line but didn't catch anything.

When you guys said it was a deep lake.. you weren't kidding. Located a bunch of fish around the 35 foot mark or what gave the impression of schools of fish. I mean there was nothing about or below.

Anyhow it was a great day fer the exception I lost my new grey fishing life jacket. I think it was on the lake...
When you purchased that boat, you opened a hole in the lake that you will throw money into until you get rid of that boat!
You have also given permission to the lake gremlins to take anything that is not tied down, as you race about the lake in your euphoric state. Therefore I implore you to tie a strap on your children (and dogs) so they don't fly overboard and are not missed until you are 5 miles down the lake.
Take pictures of that favorite rod and reel combo so after it gets pulled, yanked, dropped, or blown overboard, you'll have a photo to look back on with fond memories.
Be especially happy that gas is sub $2.00 a gallon as you will probably only get two miles.per gallon at WOT (wide open throttle).
When gas goes back to $3.00+ you'll want to go no further than seeing distance from the dock so the three gallons of gas will get you back to the ramp.
HAPPY BOATING!
Old 01-07-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
When you purchased that boat, you opened a hole in the lake that you will throw money into until you get rid of that boat!
You have also given permission to the lake gremlins to take anything that is not tied down, as you race about the lake in your euphoric state. Therefore I implore you to tie a strap on your children (and dogs) so they don't fly overboard and are not missed until you are 5 miles down the lake.
Take pictures of that favorite rod and reel combo so after it gets pulled, yanked, dropped, or blown overboard, you'll have a photo to look back on with fond memories.
Be especially happy that gas is sub $2.00 a gallon as you will probably only get two miles.per gallon at WOT (wide open throttle).
When gas goes back to $3.00+ you'll want to go no further than seeing distance from the dock so the three gallons of gas will get you back to the ramp.
HAPPY BOATING!

Sounds about spot on.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:07 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Yep !! <'TK><

Quote:
HAPPY BOATING!
All True !! ....... ...... <'TK><
Old 01-07-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
HAPPY BOATING!

Did I ever mention that I used to own a couple of Harley's ? Yea... the second one was a Ultra Classic Electraglide. My first expense was driving from TN to Miami Fla (that was in Feb) by then I had to replace a lot of the chrome because of the salty air and the tires... By July I decided to ride cross country to Sturgis.. Oh the memories. And I believe gas was somewhere around $3 a gal.. I mean I remember paying $20+ just to fill up the tank. So Yea I know about throwing money out the window.. btw I have Harley accessories for sale

My euphoric state... I plead guilty.

You see I sold my bike in 2012 to help finance my shop. So you can say I have been without the wind in my hair for a while. I couldn't help myself yesterday, the
euphoric state I was in, scooting cross the lake with the wind in my hair on my trusty water craft... the thrill of speeding inches off the water, with the smooth hum of that 4 cyl 4 stroke Merc singing in my ears.... compound the high with this being my first "real" boat... So you see I just couldn't help myself.

What are the odds of me finding that preserver you think ?
Does the lady of the lake ever give up the accidental sacrifices ?
Old 01-07-2019, 02:18 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
Did I ever mention that I used to own a couple of Harley's ? Yea... the second one was a Ultra Classic Electraglide. My first expense was driving from TN to Miami Fla (that was in Feb) by then I had to replace a lot of the chrome because of the salty air and the tires... By July I decided to ride cross country to Sturgis.. Oh the memories. And I believe gas was somewhere around $3 a gal.. I mean I remember paying $20+ just to fill up the tank. So Yea I know about throwing money out the window.. btw I have Harley accessories for sale

My euphoric state... I plead guilty.

You see I sold my bike in 2012 to help finance my shop. So you can say I have been without the wind in my hair for a while. I couldn't help myself yesterday, the
euphoric state I was in, scooting cross the lake with the wind in my hair on my trusty water craft... the thrill of speeding inches off the water, with the smooth hum of that 4 cyl 4 stroke Merc singing in my ears.... compound the high with this being my first "real" boat... So you see I just couldn't help myself.

What are the odds of me finding that preserver you think ?
Does the lady of the lake ever give up the accidental sacrifices ?
Lady lake hordes those blown out offerings the way a miser would hold onto a $100.00 bill he found on the street...
Or like SAMBOLIE would a two pound bass, if he were ever to snag one.

I lost a Mustang flotation jacket (with a $500.00 pistol in the pocket) a few years ago. Hard to believe no one ever turn those items in to the police, huh?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
HAPPY BOATING!
Lmao.....no complaints with my gas sipping Yamaha 4-stroke.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
Sounds about spot on.
Lucky for me, i only snap rods when i setting the hook on a TOAD walleye in normandy. Or the stump that swallowed my $8 jigging rap.
That was my favorite jigging rod too. (sigh)
((stupid stumps that feel like a fish...lol))
Old 01-07-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBronzeback View Post
Lucky for me, i only snap rods when i setting the hook on a TOAD walleye in normandy. Or the stump that swallowed my $8 jigging rap.
That was my favorite jigging rod too. (sigh)
((stupid stumps that feel like a fish...lol))

That stump hook set was the highlight of the day..... whomp whomp whomp. I caught a walleye while I was in Illinois over Christmas fishing for crappie, Went 15" needed 18" to keep..... thought long and hard about hiding him in the back pack.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBronzeback View Post
Lmao.....no complaints with my gas sipping Yamaha 4-stroke.

Not all of us have 4 Stroke money.....

Next boat I buy will have a 4 stroke, it's worth the extra cash up front.