FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-23-2018, 10:43 PM

Default Always an adventure DH 5/23

Decided to head to Dale Hollow today to see if the bass have moved to their summertime pattern. I had a blowout on one of my trailer tires on the way. 2 gentlemen that were pulling fishing boats stopped to see if I needed any help. I thought that was very cool and appreciated and shows the compassion that most fishermen have. I did not think it was very cool that the 2 police officers that passed by didn't stop to make the situation any safer. But I got the spare on and we were on our way again. I was hoping to find the fish in the offshore grass on the main lake and that's where we caught all of our fish. We caught our share of small ones and a few really good ones. We were targeting grass in 8-20 fow. My friend caught his biggest bass today. It weighed 5lbs 5ounces. That made my day and made tge whole trip worth it. I was using a texas rigged rage bug and he was using a texas rigged grub. I did catch one on a buzzbait out in open water where the grass has grown to the surface in 15 fow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1034.JPG (1.60 MB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1036.JPG (923.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1035.JPG (914.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 05-24-2018, 12:32 AM

Nice fish. Those DH largemouth have been showing out this year. Heard of lot of nice ones.
Will those grass fish be there during day in summer Or do you have to go at night
Old 05-24-2018, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystratos View Post
Nice fish. Those DH largemouth have been showing out this year. Heard of lot of nice ones.
Will those grass fish be there during day in summer Or do you have to go at night
Thanks. They will bite good at night but they will also be there during the day. A hot, sunny, no wind day is the best daytime summer conditions in my opinion. It positions the bass down in that grass where they are predictable. The best grass in that scenario is where you can find scattered patches. A dozen bass or more can get in one small patch. It gets tougher when there is just a lot of continuous grass but the fish are still there. You just have to basically fish it all until you find the the sweet spots. Those sweet spots are usually a certain depth or maybe the edge of the grass line. Sumberged grass can be intimidating because it can be overwhelming. You can be on a hump or point and the grass starts growing in 5 feet and grows all the way out to 25 feet, and it can grow all the way to the surface from shallow to deep. The best way I tackle it is to just dissect it with baits that fish well in it. If I can develop a pattern or 2 then I just hit those spots of the grass and forget about everything in between. I hope this info is helpful and not too confusing.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:39 AM

That is a great job of breaking down ways to find a pattern Thanks
Old 05-24-2018, 06:50 AM

Nice fish. You have a skill for breaking down how to fish areas. My mind just doesn't operate like that. I guess I need some lessons.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedbass View Post
Nice fish. You have a skill for breaking down how to fish areas. My mind just doesn't operate like that. I guess I need some lessons.
I'm certainly no expert but I know how reliable the deeper grass can be on a place like Dale Hollow. There is really only a few ways that I can fish it effectively. If it's really thick then you can fish the edges, fish top water, or just basically flip it. You can take a 1 ounce flipping weight and just flip it even in 15 fow. By far the easiest grass to fish is where it's scattered around. In that scenario you just fish like you normally would and hope you hit a patch.

I throw a big 1 ounce black nighttime spinnerbait at night almost exclusively. And usually just target the scattered grass at night. I fish it like a worm.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:09 PM

Good fish Texas, I almost went to Dale Hollow yesterday but ive never fished it before, and decided on Center Hill instead. Still had a great day but I need to get over there and figure that lake out.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerreid1234 View Post
Good fish Texas, I almost went to Dale Hollow yesterday but ive never fished it before, and decided on Center Hill instead. Still had a great day but I need to get over there and figure that lake out.
Thanks. It's a pretty cool lake. The end of the lake near the dam is usually very very clear and very deep. Mid lake you get more submerged grass and flats. The last part is up in the 2 rivers where you will find a little more stained water and a lot more shallow cover such as buck bushes and shallow laydowns. Not to mention that surroundings and the water are absolutely beautiful.