FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 09-12-2019, 08:35 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Mmmmm <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy15 View Post
You can’t handle a drunk when you’re sober?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is an example why some people go armed ... Age! and Disabilities! ... We are not young and virile as we once were... And reading your post it sounds you can pretty much handle most physical situations ..

But some older folks who are surviving Cancer, or had four 1/2 inch bore holes bored in there skull to remove two golf ball size subdural hematoma's, or two stints in their heart, or have an inoperable rotatory cuff, or have two knees that need to be replaced, can't physically protect themselves except by hitting them with their cane ... So this is another variable one must consider.

As far as me NO ONE is going to lay a hand on me or to cause me bodily harm to the point I am in fear of my life,or any one else who cannot defend themselves .... TK
Old 09-12-2019, 08:50 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Yep !! <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halli View Post
Bigger,... The new LC9s is a great gun although it was made with no Safety I am as safe as can be and use Hornady Critical Defense Ammo.

I target Shoot with FmJ but my loaded ammo is Hornady CD!
Hornady shells is the way to go ... the 9mm Ruger is a nice gun.. As far as external safety's a lot of the gun manufacturers did away with them after the FBI were having agents killed do to the fact none of the Mfr's had safety's standardized '' So about 20 years ago the FBI went with Glock ... three internal safety's but the trigger is live if it is chambered ... The safety is the gun owner.. Hey.. This is the same for a revolver .. The owner is the safety.. TK
Old 09-12-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
God Bless you

I'm sure you have seen a lot of changes in your 74 yrs.
I have been giving some thought to buying a marine grade shotgun. I would still have the sig on or near me and keep the shotgun in the rod locker. Naturally with would be loaded with a combination of slugs )) buck shot and maybe a round or two of turkey loads.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan 54 View Post
I have been giving some thought to buying a marine grade shotgun. I would still have the sig on or near me and keep the shotgun in the rod locker. Naturally with would be loaded with a combination of slugs )) buck shot and maybe a round or two of turkey loads.

I have a M&P Shield 9mm I'll carry with me, but my baby is a Old Spanish Starfire 45 acp with Hydroshocks and silver HP. What I really want is a small Derringer
Old 09-12-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I don't think its so much of handling as much as unpredictability. Besides a drunk is one thing and its another when you have one that is tweeking or is on something a lot worse. You hear it all too often when a cop tasers someone and it doesn't even effect them. Its easy to talk about defending ourselves out there, but its completely different when its actually going down. Its hard to predict how a drunk or a tweeker is going to react. Kind of like a bass... will it hit a worm, spinner or a jig and will it run towards you or the other direction

Agreed.

Change the scenario a bit. if you’re carrying because someone may ambush you and they have a gun, what good is your gun going to do? If they have the draw on you then the last thing you should be thinking about is your gun. Right?

Old 09-12-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post

Here is an example why some people go armed ... Age! and Disabilities! ... We are not young and virile as we once were... And reading your post it sounds you can pretty much handle most physical situations ..

But some older folks who are surviving Cancer, or had four 1/2 inch bore holes bored in there skull to remove two golf ball size subdural hematoma's, or two stints in their heart, or have an inoperable rotatory cuff, or have two knees that need to be replaced, can't physically protect themselves except by hitting them with their cane ... So this is another variable one must consider.

As far as me NO ONE is going to lay a hand on me or to cause me bodily harm to the point I am in fear of my life,or any one else who cannot defend themselves .... TK

Understand and cannot disagree. While we are on the topic. Anyone have a kimber micro 9 they are looking to sell? I want to get one for my wife

Old 09-13-2019, 10:06 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile North American Arms .. TK

Quote:
I have a M&P Shield 9mm I'll carry with me, but my baby is a Old Spanish Starfire 45 acp with Hydroshocks and silver HP. What I really want is a small Derringer
Flatline see pic here and on my previous page on this pistol .. It is a five shot 22 Mag. I removed the smaller grips and added the larger ones, it is a single action with a safety system that the hammer does not rest on the shell.... It has a muzzle velocity 2200 FPS (feet per second with Horneday fire tips) My 357 Mag is 1400 FPS .. Same as a 30-30...

The bore is a 22 but the cartrage has a bigger Diameter and it is longer in length. North American Arms has a very nice product line.... TK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2704 (3).JPG (545.9 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by tkwalker; 09-13-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Flatline see pic here and on my previous page on this pistol .. It is a five shot 22 Mag. I removed the smaller grips and added the larger ones, it is a single action with a safety system that the hammer does not rest on the shell.... It has a muzzle velocity 2200 FPS (feet per second with Horneday fire tips) My 357 Mag is 1400 FPS .. Same as a 30-30...

The bore is a 22 but the cartrage has a bigger Diameter and it is longer in length. North American Arms has a very nice product line.... TK
I have one in the standard 22. Very accurate at 2 to 4 ft.
I carry a Ruger LCR 38 SPL +P.
Sometimes carry 9MM Shield. Just not as comfortable to carry as the LCR.

RUGER LCR 38 SPL +P.jpg
Old 09-13-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:

I like that TK

Old 09-13-2019, 08:24 PM
Owner and Administrator

Default Yep !! <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy15 View Post
I like that TK

The 22 mag. is a whole different ballgame from a standard 22 Long... Now this little jewel takes a little more mechanical manipulation when loading (cylinder has to be removed) To set the safety groove the hammer needs to be half cocked and lowered... But it is sweet ..... TK
Old 09-13-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:

I have to admit I like that little thing, but I have an issue with the muzzle velocity, and I will tell you why.

Statistically most of your defensive shootings are within 5 to 15 feet, according to my CCW instructor. A 9mm is roughly 1210 FPS, they are also known to go thru a person providing it doesn't hit bones. 22 mags is 2200 FPS, almost double the velocity.

God forbid if I find myself in this situation as to where I find myself having to shoot someone... I don't want to find out that a innocent by-stander got it too because the bullet went thru the offender. Also I can't imagine a round that goes thru someone at such a high speed will do much harm as the round is not going to have time to expand.

I know I carry a 9 mm, but it also has 7-8 rounds. I like a .45 for the simple reason that the velocity is only around 800 FPS and is known for its stopping power.

Apparently modern testing of ammo includes shooting thru 4 layers of cloths in front of a gel block. Ideal penetration is between 12-18".

Because of the above is why I'd love to find myself a usedDerringer .45 ACP (new is too expensive for my blood)
Old 09-14-2019, 12:09 AM
Owner and Administrator

Default Yep !! <'TK><

Quote:
I have to admit I like that little thing, but I have an issue with the muzzle velocity, and I will tell you why.

Statistically most of your defensive shootings are within 5 to 15 feet, according to my CCW instructor. A 9mm is roughly 1210 FPS, they are also known to go thru a person providing it doesn't hit bones. 22 mags is 2200 FPS, almost double the velocity.

God forbid if I find myself in this situation as to where I find myself having to shoot someone... I don't want to find out that a innocent by-stander got it too because the bullet went thru the offender. Also I can't imagine a round that goes thru someone at such a high speed will do much harm as the round is not going to have time to expand.

I know I carry a 9 mm, but it also has 7-8 rounds. I like a .45 for the simple reason that the velocity is only around 800 FPS and is known for its stopping power.

Apparently modern testing of ammo includes shooting thru 4 layers of cloths in front of a gel block. Ideal penetration is between 12-18".

Because of the above is why I'd love to find myself a usedDerringer .45 ACP (new is too expensive for my blood)
Flatline, yes you are dead on (But like I said before you have to know your limitations and you are responsible for every bullet that leaves your muzzle, no matter a BB or a Barrett 50 cal ... It's called Practice, practice, practice ... No matter what you shoot you have to know what the outcome will be ... You are welcome to come over to my place in Lebanon ... I have a shooting Berm ) ...

Velocity and impact are to totally two different things ... It is called knock down power.. That is why when the Colt model 1911 45 cal came out for the military... Now The Horneday red tip 22 Mag. is primarily a rifle varmint ammo which was developed by Winchester ... If you want to slow it down use a Winchester 22 Mag. hollow point ... their velocity is 1550 FPS ... In fact I have a friend who was shot with a 22 long and the bullet actually followed the bone after entry and did major damage ...

These are not designed to be knock down weapons but a close range weapon especially at the head especially if you load it with 22 Mag. Snake shot... I also have a friend who loads these ... which I think is a bad idea for a number of reasons .. If you need to use the weapon at this close range there is only one end result ..not to mam or blind .. (22 Mag. red tip)

Think about this .. 90% of all gator hunters use 22 Mags...

Now when shooting a North American 22 Mag. with Horneday shells it is louder than a 9 mm and you do have a slight wrist yank.... TK

Last edited by tkwalker; 09-14-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I have to admit I like that little thing,

I found a Nickle derringer .357 for $150.00 4 years ago at a pawn shop.
So they are out there in bigger gauges you just have to keep looking.