FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 10-03-2018, 05:36 AM

Default Electronic placement question

I have a question for a few people. When installing a new console depth finder at the steering wheel, how do most people rig it? Shoot thru hull or hard wire onto the back of transom down into the water. I want a shoot thru hull configuration but i am concerned it will affect the sensitivity of the reading and not give me an accurate reading as the other method. Just looking for a few thoughts.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:13 PM

Back of the Transom. You can't shoot through the hull with Structure scan. I also like to know my transducers are as level as possible when the boat is in the water.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:27 PM

On back of transom. Some folks do run a splitter with another ducer/2d inside hull but I haven't tried that one.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:29 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by fair weather fisher View Post
I have a question for a few people. When installing a new console depth finder at the steering wheel, how do most people rig it? Shoot thru hull or hard wire onto the back of transom down into the water. I want a shoot thru hull configuration but i am concerned it will affect the sensitivity of the reading and not give me an accurate reading as the other method. Just looking for a few thoughts.
Don't know if it's a fiberglass or aluminum boat.

You can't shoot through an aluminum hull .125 thick, not sure about smaller thicknesses, but don't think you can shoot through any aluminum hulled boat.

You will only get 2D with a thru the hull transducer, definitely not side scan or SI.

Put your transducer on the transom, 1/8th of an inch ABOVE the bottom of the boat. You won't be able to read bottom at high speeds but you also won't have your transducer knocked off by stuff in the water when you are running at speeds.

I don't know what graph/unit you are mounting, but my transducer cost $386.00 and I don't want it getting destroyed.

There are many partially submerged hazards in the water that can destroy your transducer in a heartbeat.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:57 PM

Thanks for all the advice! Those are some great tips. My boat is fiberglass. It came with a shoot thru hull finder but quit working years ago. It was just a cheap unit.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:37 PM

Transom mount.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:52 PM
Cartoonafish

Default sealant

If you mount outside on the transom make sure you seal the mounting screws with a quality marine "below the waterline sealant". If you need a depth reading while underway then mount the transducer inside the hull where there is only a single thickness of fiberglass. You shouldn't lose much information with the inside mount.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:21 AM

I have my 2D hull mounted, never had an issue finding fish with that configuration. Also, I can read depths at 65MPH which is not only handy but necessary. My structure scan is mounted to my jack plate.

The ideal scenario would be to have a splitter as mentioned, but I can't find one for the Lowrance HDS 12. That being said, I'm not going to run wide open in Old Hickory with its questionable channel markers without a constant read out of depth. No sir, No thank you!
Old 10-05-2018, 05:54 PM
Dakota S

Hereís my setup. The unit on the far right is HDS7 Structure scan and down imaging mounted at the transom. The middle one is thru hull but doesnít work. The Hook2 unit to the far left I have the transducer mounted on the trolling motor. I have a suction cup mount and also a ball mount beside the trolling motor. The cord is long enough to mount in either position. I mount this unit depending on what kind of fishing Iím doing. I have a separate battery up front for the unit on the left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk