FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-01-2019, 10:54 AM

Default Hey Randy

Got my hands on some Varivas super ester. Next question: What kind of knot for line to leader and how do I know it's tight with 2.3 lb test (haha)? Thanks, Scott
Old 01-01-2019, 01:42 PM

Modified Albright knot is good and easy to tie.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4Wdoc8-0o
Old 01-01-2019, 02:04 PM

Thanks Buc, That's what I use braid to leader. I just wanted to know what Randy(Alphahawk) uses with this 2 lb Ester. Don't know if there is something better for this super small line. This is new territory for me. Thanks, Scott
Old 01-03-2019, 08:47 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohands25 View Post
Got my hands on some Varivas super ester. Next question: What kind of knot for line to leader and how do I know it's tight with 2.3 lb test (haha)? Thanks, Scott
Many good knots...Buccaneer mentioned one. I use the 5 turn surgeons knot as it is easy for an arthritic older man with fumble fingers to tie. If you watched my video on the Bouz Drag Checker you can see the 5 turn is as strong as the line....as long as it is cinched down smoothly as we should do with any knot. When I didn’t cinch knots down correctly I only had 80 percent of line strength. Using that device really opened my eyes to how much strength we lose when a knot is poorly tied. As I’ve gotten older I get lazy with the knots. I did a lot of testing with that knot......had line all over the floor most of a day.....my wife wasn't too happy....LOL. I also saved some leader-line ties that I cut off on a fishing trip when I would retie. I tested 6 of those when I got home. Each one had landed 6 smallish white bass. All the knots broke at 1 pound....50 percent less than the line strength. Just goes to show how even smaller fish can wear on a knot.

Regards
Old 01-04-2019, 09:06 AM

What was the biggest fish you have landed on 2lb line?
Old 01-04-2019, 10:28 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickfan70 View Post
What was the biggest fish you have landed on 2lb line?
For about the past 10 years I usually land several dozen Smallies at the the 21 inch mark each year.......I haven’t owned a scale in years but a 21 inch Smallie will go 5 pounds....maybe more. Landed a 10 pound stripper years ago below Pickwick. He peeled off almost 240 yards of line before I ran him down and then it took a while...he just sat down in a dead pool but I landed him. Since switching over to all JDM spinning reels 5 years ago I can only get about 90 yards of 2# test on those reels. Here is a pic of 2 drum I landed....one at Center Hill and one at Nickajack.....these fish weighed a lot....I’ll let y’all decide what they weighed. Had to run both fish down in the boat quite a ways. The one at Center Hill peeled off about 40 yards of line before I could even get the boat turned toward him. My UL rod was in the shape of a U and my nephew was shying back from the rod as he thought it was going to shatter....LOL. Landing any of these fish on 2# test requires some skill.....lot of experience really.....but I can tell you a lot of luck is involved too. It doesn’t take much to go wrong for that line to snap.

Regards
Old 01-04-2019, 07:45 PM

I'm amazed that you can land fish that big on 2lb line. Those are some nice fish!