FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-31-2017, 09:58 PM

Default Striker 5 CV

Hey guys I'm going in half's with my dad to get a striker 5 CV. Anyone know anything about them? The reviews seem pretty good and honestly we're needing something really for GPS to mark waypoints and such. Thanks!

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2017, 10:02 PM
Fishing Fool

If you're needing mapping, you won't get them with a striker unit. But, they are great units for the price. Tnbronzeback has a 7SV on his boat and was a really nice crisp picture because of the chirp technology

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2017, 10:13 PM
Master Trout Magnet

It is a good value for the money....for sonar use.....as skillet said mapping not so much. But I would highly recommend if at all possible to get a 7 inch screen. A lot of info crammed onto a 5 inch screen.

Regards
Old 01-31-2017, 10:28 PM

I have the Striker 7SV which is chirp sonar, side and down. Alpha knows about all that technology in regards to chirp, but i can tell you i love mine. Correct on no mapping...but you can still log routes for trolling and drop waypoints which is pretty accurate. The 2d chirp sonar is REALLY good. Its also got a flasher if thats your thing. Speed, temp, ect.
I will say though, if i were to put a label on my striker 7sv, i would call it a "beginner" unit. And why i say that is you dont get all the fancy adjustments like you do with a HB or Lowrance. It has your basic adjustments (scroll speed, noise, contrast, color, ect) but it lacks the finer tuning from there. More of a plug and play unit. Thats not a bad thing! its very simple to use, has a pretty good SI picture too. DI is clear as well. Better than my POS lowrance unit.
If you can swing it, the striker 7sv is $499 everywhere unles somebody is running a sale on it...but if you can split that....go for the bigger unit.
Knock on wood, i havent had 1 single issue with my garmin to date. No glitches, software BS...nothing. if they made that unit in 12" i would have one!
Since my garmin doesnt have mapping, i use its waypoint feature along with my Navionics on my phone. Works great, an added step but saves that $$$$. lol.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:37 PM

Here are a few pics i took of the SI this summer. Grass, logs and creek bed. I had to reduce the picture size to post so they are a little grainy....but you should be able to get the jist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160702_174351.jpg (1.10 MB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20160702_174555.jpg (1,002.9 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-31-2017, 10:49 PM
Master Trout Magnet

I'm convinced this unit made HB take notice and now they have the Helix CHIRP series......great image on the Striker....much better than on my HB 899 which at the time cost a grand retail.

Regards
Old 01-31-2017, 11:54 PM
Fishing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBronzeback View Post
I have the Striker 7SV which is chirp sonar, side and down. Alpha knows about all that technology in regards to chirp, but i can tell you i love mine. Correct on no mapping...but you can still log routes for trolling and drop waypoints which is pretty accurate. The 2d chirp sonar is REALLY good. Its also got a flasher if thats your thing. Speed, temp, ect.

I will say though, if i were to put a label on my striker 7sv, i would call it a "beginner" unit. And why i say that is you dont get all the fancy adjustments like you do with a HB or Lowrance. It has your basic adjustments (scroll speed, noise, contrast, color, ect) but it lacks the finer tuning from there. More of a plug and play unit. Thats not a bad thing! its very simple to use, has a pretty good SI picture too. DI is clear as well. Better than my POS lowrance unit.

If you can swing it, the striker 7sv is $499 everywhere unles somebody is running a sale on it...but if you can split that....go for the bigger unit.

Knock on wood, i havent had 1 single issue with my garmin to date. No glitches, software BS...nothing. if they made that unit in 12" i would have one!

Since my garmin doesnt have mapping, i use its waypoint feature along with my Navionics on my phone. Works great, an added step but saves that $$$$. lol.

You wanna sell that POS lowrance??? Lol

Old 01-31-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
I'm convinced this unit made HB take notice and now they have the Helix CHIRP series......great image on the Striker....much better than on my HB 899 which at the time cost a grand retail.

Regards
By simple math standards, if my striker 7 was $500.....i would happily pay $1k for a 12" striker. No more or less features, just a bigger screen. Please garmin! lol
Old 01-31-2017, 11:56 PM

HB new solix 15 looks pretty sweet too! but thats running $3500! nice...but not THAT nice.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:07 PM

Thanks for all the info guys! We have a beginner lowrance 4 chirp but its not all that great so I convinced my dad we needed something at least one step up. As far as mapping we just need something to drop waypoints so we can at least come back to a spot especially if we're out in the open. I def like those pics and will prob have to get some further info when trying to setup the thing. Thanks again

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2017, 06:17 PM
Fishing Fool

I got a Garmin Echomap 93SV for sale in the for sale section.