FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 10-22-2017, 09:00 AM

Default Cast nets

What size do you Striper guys use to catch your bait? I am currently using a 6 foot 3/8 mesh and I struggle in deeper water. I was thinking of getting a 8 ft 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch mesh. Any advice is appreciated .

Last edited by Heiny57; 10-22-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiny57 View Post
What size do you Striper guys use to catch your bait? I am currently using a 6 foot 3/8 mesh and I struggle in deeper water. I was thinking of getting a 8 ft 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch mesh. Any advice is appropriated.
The net you have will work fine in shallower water. I actually like a smaller net in shallow water because is easier to throw and I can reload and throw much faster.

Deep water is something else. For deep water, you can get a "Deep Hole" net. These nets have a webbing around the perimeters that keeps the nets open as they fall. Will go as deep as 50'. They also have longer lines on them for the deeper water. I use these nets to catch alewives at night under a Green Magnet Fishing Light.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:54 AM

I use a 6 footer also, but I don't bother with deep bait...just hit a cove somewhere. There are 2 things to remember...

1. Not all weights are created equal. The Bass Pro nets are crap! Light as a feather and don't sink nearly fast enough. Go as heavy as you can!

2. Don't forget your backup net. Trust me, you don't want your day to end when you get that thing caught in a tree on the first cast.