FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 PM

not trying to stir the pot to much, but i'd be in favor and would participate in an on the water below a dam multiple boat protest.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
not trying to stir the pot to much, but i'd be in favor and would participate in an on the water below a dam multiple boat protest.
They might turn the sluice on us.

Roy
Old 11-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Owner and Administrator

Default Who Says ??? <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post

Roy
Go to Cordell Hull 2 ramps either side of the dam .. 1 in Carthage ... No Sluice ... And why just yaks ... Everybody ...power boats, yaks ..etc ..

Show a major protest ... check gen schedules etc ... call the TV stations have TWRA there ... Everyone be legal .... <'TK><
Old 11-27-2012, 10:10 PM

I'm in.
This power grab is ridiculous and should be fought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
We can also post on the Corps Facebook page. If you have facebook search Nashville District. I just posted on their site. Maybe all forms of contact will help.

Roy
I just posted on the facebook page too. Everyone please post. There is a long list of people outraged by this, keep the backlash coming. We can't let them do this.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 11-28-2012, 09:11 AM

Facebook response from the Corps:

Nashville District Thank you for your comments. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nashville District is currently in the process of finalizing a plan to restrict boat access to hazardous waters directly upstream and downstream of all hydroelectric power plant facilities along the Cumberland River and its tributaries. When the plan is finalized, the Corps will release the information to the public.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Nashville District Thank you for your comments. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nashville District is currently in the process of finalizing a plan to restrict boat access to hazardous waters directly upstream and downstream of all hydroelectric power plant facilities along the Cumberland River and its tributaries. When the plan is finalized, the Corps will release the information to the public.
Not boat and bank?

Seems like a safety issue or at least that looks to be their reasoning. Be interesting to see what the info is once released.

That would suck for me and fishing below Center Hill at night depending on what the plan is.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
Not boat and bank?

Seems like a safety issue or at least that looks to be their reasoning. Be interesting to see what the info is once released.

That would suck for me and fishing below Center Hill at night depending on what the plan is.
AHHHH Travis you are wise among your years....we wont fish below the dams in our boats we will use our kayaks. LOL I also wonder he is going to enforce the law? I dont really see the TWRA getting on board with this one and the Corps has no patrols on the Caney, only the guys in the pickup trucks.

Roy
Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:

I got that same exact response. Seems like they just copy and pasted it to all the complaints. Our tax dollars at work...

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
AHHHH Travis you are wise among your years....we wont fish below the dams in our boats we will use our kayaks. LOL I also wonder he is going to enforce the law? I dont really see the TWRA getting on board with this one and the Corps has no patrols on the Caney, only the guys in the pickup trucks.

Roy
It really makes no sense or I guess it possibly could if they would communicate.

The more it becomes a closed door, "this is what you guys get" thing the more I tend to lean with bd's comment of "I guess the cynical part of me says it could be some sort of retribution or fallout from all the litigation that has come up against the Corps in the wake of the May 2010 flood, but that is pure, unsupported speculation on my part."

Kinda like the Flipper's thing, I bet he ruffled some feathers possibly over the bridge construction on 109 which caused the issues of Corps property. That statement is totally unsupported and opinion on my part.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Roy
No chance in the world!

If they did so intentionally, and someone got hurt, they couldn't stand the legal battle that would ensue. If it was a matter of course, there wouldn't be much that could be said or done. If it was arbitrary, their ass would be in a sling.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:30 AM

Here's another thought on the issue.

Say, don't allow boats "x" of feet below dams. I'd think there would be a set number of feet not Dam specific.

What if that distance takes away the ramps Center Hill (hypothetically speaking) the canoe rental outfits would be up in arms not getting those ramps plus that stretch to Happy away and bound to hurt business.

It may sound like too far to go up there but if there is universal distance to work every where then its not far fetched. The dam to that ramp on the Ranger's side is a little over 1,000 ft roughly yet on Old Hickory its almost 900ft to the end of the lock wall from the dam roughly....

Last edited by Travis C.; 11-28-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:41 AM

I imagine they are just looking at the immediate area where generation water boils up. Though they did say the Corps is restrictin the imediate headwater side. I do engineering work for TVA Hydro and worked on their Tailwater Warning Systems that have the lights and horns. Don't know why the Corps can't just put those in and be happy.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbus View Post
I imagine they are just looking at the immediate area where generation water boils up. Though they did say the Corps is restrictin the imediate headwater side. I do engineering work for TVA Hydro and worked on their Tailwater Warning Systems that have the lights and horns. Don't know why the Corps can't just put those in and be happy.
Well because if they just did that, then there would be no additional opportunity to write citations/give fines for people fishing below dams. Just follow the money and you'll find out the real reason behind this. It's not our safety, that's for sure.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:38 PM

Maybe they will just put up fences....HaHa