FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 02-02-2016, 07:45 AM
Fishing TN Staff

I would be in favor of a PLR 17" to 24", and can keep 1 fish a day under 17", or one over 24".

This would give the people who enjoy this delicacy a chance to keep one for the dinner table if they would like.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:57 AM

I think this slot could make everyone happy - 17 to 22 and 3 unders/1 over. It allows people to keep 3 smaller fish to eat, protects the larger fish and if you catch that trophy smallie you can keep it. Tournaments could have a min 12" length and those guys can weigh in 3 fish 12 - 16 inch and 1 really good one.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedbass View Post
I think this slot could make everyone happy - 17 to 22 and 3 unders/1 over. It allows people to keep 3 smaller fish to eat, protects the larger fish and if you catch that trophy smallie you can keep it. Tournaments could have a min 12" length and those guys can weigh in 3 fish 12 - 16 inch and 1 really good one.
I like it. I was originally thinking of something like a 14-17" allowable harvest range and one over 20" if someone wants a trophy. I like your idea just fine and I think it would make everyone happy. Everyone except the people who want every bass released but, again, I'm not really talking to that crowd. You can't reason with them.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 02-02-2016, 09:10 AM

I make an annual two week trip to the Boundary Waters and we eat quite a smallies while we are there. They are very tasty when they are around 11 or 12 inches, and its very easy to catch fish that size. As I was growing up and fishing here in West Tennessee, the idea of eating a smallmouth never occurred to me. We never caught them! Once I started creek wading in Middle Tennessee and actually started to catch smallies, they were such a special thing to me that I still never ate them. Still haven't eaten one from Tennessee.

I don't know about eating musky, but northern pike are very tasty. Just hard to fillet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1202.JPG (132.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1203.JPG (145.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 02-02-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymon View Post
I make an annual two week trip to the Boundary Waters and we eat quite a smallies while we are there. They are very tasty when they are around 11 or 12 inches, and its very easy to catch fish that size. As I was growing up and fishing here in West Tennessee, the idea of eating a smallmouth never occurred to me. We never caught them! Once I started creek wading in Middle Tennessee and actually started to catch smallies, they were such a special thing to me that I still never ate them. Still haven't eaten one from Tennessee.

I don't know about eating musky, but northern pike are very tasty. Just hard to fillet.
OK,,,,, now I'm hungry.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:30 AM

lMAO, "smells like ass and cat food" Juice you made my day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2t View Post
I'm curious if the general populous of fishermen feel the same way as I do about this,...
Short answer is no. You might want to read through some of TWRA's angler survey results, been a few years since I have. However, I recall over 90% of the responds preferred larger length limits for all bass species. Additionally, almost 90% practice catch and release. Both were the highest percentage wise for all categories.

Smallmouth bass have low recruitment in the reservoirs (and highly variable recruitment in streams), with moderate to slow growth in both. Slots are generally used when recruitment is high and growth rates are fast (unless crowding occurs, slowing growth rates). Smallmouth density in reservoirs and streams is sparse enough that stunting is never an issue. Additionally, smallmouth are rarely stocked by the state (difficult and expensive to raise) unlike largemouth and spotted bass which have high recruitment and fast growth rates in local reservoirs.

While your proposed would increase your creel; and if it is popular with many fisherman, long-term one would expect to see reduced populations size (particular in reservoirs). Couple that with dwindling smallmouth spawning habitat (function of reservoir aging), and additional pressures from expansion of non-native Alabama Spotted Bass and increasing competition from Northern Spotted Bass and in my area unknown consequences of introduction of non-native FL-strain largemouth bass (and the affects of its backcrosses); a collapse of reservoir smallmouth fishery might occur.

On rivers, the highly variable recruitment along with moderate to slow growth makes even moderate levels of harvest, demential to "TARP/trophy" smallmouth population (which according to the angler survey is what the majority prefer).

Angler Survey: https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/angler-surveys
Old 02-02-2016, 03:52 PM

That's what I don't understand though. The hardcore catch and release guys want an even longer minimum length requirement because they want more trophy fish. Do they not realize that means only the larger fish that they want to populate the lakes are going to be harvested because any Smallie under 18" has to go back? It seems like a case of have your cake and eat it too syndrome.

The 18" minimum was pushed hard for by anglers starting around the year 2000. They were loud and in good numbers so they got it passed. What's funny is that same group of people would be furious over someone harvesting a 20" Smallie. I mean, they asked for it! Literally. All the more reason to allow a certain slot size to be harvested. I really like Dave's idea of 17-22 PLR with 3 under, 1 over. That should make everyone happy. Everyone who wants to be reasonable and understand that although they want every Smallmouth released, they're not going to get that.

I don't really think 90 percent of Tennessee anglers are strict catch and release. 90 percent of the ones who took that survey maybe but not of the entire state.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

Last edited by jad2t; 02-02-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
That's what I don't understand though. The hardcore catch and release guys want an even longer minimum length requirement because they want more trophy fish. Do they not realize that means only the larger fish that they want to populate the lakes are going to be harvested because any Smallie under 18" has to go back? ….
True but only under heavy harvest rates. Since the surveys show that almost all that are targeting bass are catch and release then the amount taken above the limit is minimal (compared to total population).

Also keep in mind that the commissioners often oppose "complicated" regulations. A length limit is pretty simple to understand.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
That's what I don't understand though. The hardcore catch and release guys want an even longer minimum length requirement because they want more trophy fish. Do they not realize that means only the larger fish that they want to populate the lakes are going to be harvested because any Smallie under 18" has to go back? It seems like a case of have your cake and eat it too syndrome.

We hardcore C&R enthusiasts are betting that the majority of the harvesters are like you. Can't catch a smallie over 18" so no danger of thinning the herd.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfish View Post

Also keep in mind that the commissioners often oppose "complicated" regulations. A length limit is pretty simple to understand.
What I'd like to see done isn't as complicated as the Caney regs I don't think.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE View Post
We hardcore C&R enthusiasts are betting that the majority of the harvesters are like you. Can't catch a smallie over 18" so no danger of thinning the herd.
Haha. I've done it a few times and will do it plenty more times. Especially now that I've taken a liking to Tims Ford.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:35 PM

This one came so close to hitting the oil.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:53 PM

It's amazing that any fish can successfully spawn in a rocky bottom reservoir.

I like the not fishing during spawning season rule , it works up north.

And I think the Bluegills are eating all the Smallie fry, so we need to eat all them.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
This one came so close to hitting the oil.

Looks like that smallie crushed that rap!