FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 02-23-2016, 07:08 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
I am thinking about getting the HD traducer for mine for the crisper images. I do see a difference in the Lowrance images compared to the standard Transducer I have, Hoping the HD helps that out. I change my settings every time I fish but do you have a recommendation for sensitivity/Contrast to show fish better? I like 10-11 Sensitivity and usually 13 Contrast, but that does change.
I don't really have any hard set rules on the adjustments.....but I use those same figures as you often. I know if I get them out of whack I reset everything to 10...or default.....and it will get me in the ballpark. There are certain lakes though that my settings will sometimes be way on one end or the other because of the water. Laurel Hill and VFW Lakes are two of them. They fertilize those lakes and all summer they keep a big bloom. I really have to play with contrast and sensitivity on those lakes to get it dialed in. I keep my sharpness setting on in the low setting because I am looking for fish. That sharpness setting will back shadow fish and make them pop out better.

Regards
Old 02-23-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
I don't really have any hard set rules on the adjustments.....but I use those same figures as you often. I know if I get them out of whack I reset everything to 10...or default.....and it will get me in the ballpark. There are certain lakes though that my settings will sometimes be way on one end or the other because of the water. Laurel Hill and VFW Lakes are two of them. They fertilize those lakes and all summer they keep a big bloom. I really have to play with contrast and sensitivity on those lakes to get it dialed in. I keep my sharpness setting on in the low setting because I am looking for fish. That sharpness setting will back shadow fish and make them pop out better.

Regards

Thank you, I never adjust the sharpness. I will have to try it next time out.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:13 AM
Fishing Fool

Deezltek bought an HDS 7 gen2 end of last year, and it's a nice unit. But a 7 inch screen is as small as you want. Trust me, I understand it's hard to flip down big money on a unit to see fish. My ol lady is probably like yours and doesn't understand the significant use that unit will get and how much more efficient my fishing could be.

But with all that being said, Bass Pro Shops does have the 6 months to pay going on right now which can help you in getting the bigger 7" Ti. I've been looking at them and studying them. If you get the $799 total scam 7" that comes with the all in one transducer which is pretty nice.

Doing some quick math, $800+80 for tax comes to right around $150/month for 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2016, 08:22 AM
Fishing Fool

Old 02-25-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
Deezltek bought an HDS 7 gen2 end of last year, and it's a nice unit. But a 7 inch screen is as small as you want. Trust me, I understand it's hard to flip down big money on a unit to see fish. My ol lady is probably like yours and doesn't understand the significant use that unit will get and how much more efficient my fishing could be.

But with all that being said, Bass Pro Shops does have the 6 months to pay going on right now which can help you in getting the bigger 7" Ti. I've been looking at them and studying them. If you get the $799 total scam 7" that comes with the all in one transducer which is pretty nice.

Doing some quick math, $800+80 for tax comes to right around $150/month for 6 months.

I was able to pursuade her into the larger 7" screen so its just a matter of picking which unit now, and i do like that payment deal they have. Its not really the money necessarily, its the one time hit of close to $800 that she isnt thrilled about lol. Justifiably so i guess. cant save it for later if im spending it today! LOL
Old 02-25-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBronzeback View Post
I was able to pursuade her into the larger 7" screen so its just a matter of picking which unit now, and i do like that payment deal they have. Its not really the money necessarily, its the one time hit of close to $800 that she isnt thrilled about lol. Justifiably so i guess. cant save it for later if im spending it today! LOL

I'm going to throw this into the discussion Dicks's sporting goods has the HDS 7 gen 2 SS touch model on sale for 999.99
Old 02-25-2016, 12:44 PM
Fishing Fool

One thing that I like that hummingbird does that lowrance doesn't is you can highlight different depths on your maps. Say you want to stay out of 5' or less you can make it red...and if you're wanting to focus on water 10-25' you make it a different color. That can be a game changer and help eliminate water. But I like the new lowrance Ti concept. I say concept because I haven't put my hands on one yet. But I will soon when I'm in the market for one. You can't go wrong with any of them now a days really.

Just throwing this out there, take a look at Garmin. Their side scans are super nice too.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:11 PM

so i was at Bass Pro kicking the tires on a few units they had there and found another unit im really really liking. The Garmin 7SV. No mapping but the down and side image clarity blows HB and Lowrance out of the water. They incorporate the Chirp (or thier version of the technology) in thier Sonar, Down and Side Imaging.
Does anybody here have anything good or bad to say about Garmin. First appearence, in my opinion, Garmin takes the cake on clarity for all 3 views.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:18 PM
Dakota S

Quote:
so i was at Bass Pro kicking the tires on a few units they had there and found another unit im really really liking. The Garmin 7SV. No mapping but the down and side image clarity blows HB and Lowrance out of the water. They incorporate the Chirp (or thier version of the technology) in thier Sonar, Down and Side Imaging.

Does anybody here have anything good or bad to say about Garmin. First appearence, in my opinion, Garmin takes the cake on clarity for all 3 views.

I've always had Lowrance and have never fished with anyone who owned a garmin. Sounds like they've come a long way. Wish I could help.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:52 PM
Master Trout Magnet

New unit.....so can't find any reviews. On the face looks like a steal....here would be my concerns. No mapping at all.....only 1Hz GPS. That means the GPS isn't going to update your location very fast at all. But I don't understand it not having any mapping but you can mark waypoints. The waypoints just show up on a white background......mapping cannot be added. If that is OK with you the sonar part looks like a lot of bang for the buck......but I would try and find some reviews before buying. It does appear that they CHIRP the 2d.... si and di....which would be a sight to behold. If that thing had mapping they couldn't keep them on the shelves.

Regards
Old 02-25-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
New unit.....so can't find any reviews. On the face looks like a steal....here would be my concerns. No mapping at all.....only 1Hz GPS. That means the GPS isn't going to update your location very fast at all. But I don't understand it not having any mapping but you can mark waypoints. The waypoints just show up on a white background......mapping cannot be added. If that is OK with you the sonar part looks like a lot of bang for the buck......but I would try and find some reviews before buying. It does appear that they CHIRP the 2d.... si and di....which would be a sight to behold. If that thing had mapping they couldn't keep them on the shelves.

Regards
they will have the mapping units on the shelves very soon according to BPS. you are correct, no mapping, just the white screen and the ability to drop waypoints, which for the clarity of the DI & SI....i will just keep it updated on my navionics phone app. The unit sells for $499.
its very very tempting.
The guy at BPS said when the mapping units hit the shelves, they will have a $700-$800 sticker price.....so pretty close to the others.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:22 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
they will have the mapping units on the shelves very soon according to BPS. you are correct, no mapping, just the white screen and the ability to drop waypoints, which for the clarity of the DI & SI....i will just keep it updated on my navionics phone app. The unit sells for $499.

its very very tempting.

The guy at BPS said when the mapping units hit the shelves, they will have a $700-$800 sticker price.....so pretty close to the others.

Well if they are CHIRPing di and si they have my attention. I will have to go up and take a look at their units. I am curious if their 455kHz scans at 180 degree. CHIRPing di and si is game changer.

Regards

Old 02-25-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Well if they are CHIRPing di and si they have my attention. I will have to go up and take a look at their units. I am curious if their 455kHz scans at 180 degree. CHIRPing di and si is game changer.

Regards

you know more of the nuts and bolts of it, but thats what the guy there told me.
All i can honestly distinguish the units by is what i see with my eye. And my eyes liked! lol
Old 02-26-2016, 10:42 AM

They do have some pretty SI/DI images from what I have seen. I need to look into one, I've got the itch for a new unit already
Old 02-26-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
They do have some pretty SI/DI images from what I have seen. I need to look into one, I've got the itch for a new unit already
those are the best SI and DI images that ive seen. No HD transducer or extra equipment needed from what i was told. And even though it doesnt have mapping, its still dirt cheap in comparison.