FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdkxtreme View Post
Maybe they will just put up fences....HaHa
Electric fences...
Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM

I really doubt money from ticket revenues has much to do with it. The revenue from fines wouldn't wind up in the Corps' pocket since it's a federal agency, and even if it did, the fines against a few boaters and fishermen would be insignificant in light of the size of the Corps budget.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-28-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd- View Post
I really doubt money from ticket revenues has much to do with it. The revenue from fines wouldn't wind up in the Corps' pocket since it's a federal agency, and even if it did, the fines against a few boaters and fishermen would be insignificant in light of the size of the Corps budget.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2
Cant fine me if you cant catch me. LOL Need to have a boat parade one day and have hundreds of boats below the dam. See if they can write that many tickets. Better yet just go ahead and get a ticket for it and always carry it with you and then when they want to give you another ticket just show them the one you already have. Cant try me twice for the same crime. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Roy
Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
. LOL Need to have a boat parade one day and have hundreds of boats below the dam.
Roy

Redneck Yacht Club
Old 11-28-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbus View Post
I imagine they are just looking at the immediate area where generation water boils up. Though they did say the Corps is restrictin the imediate headwater side. I do engineering work for TVA Hydro and worked on their Tailwater Warning Systems that have the lights and horns. Don't know why the Corps can't just put those in and be happy.
JMO, but I think you hit on something here. I believe that rather than spending money on putting in tailwater camera, sirens,horns etc they would rather have blanket coverage of having no one around, making it easier to remotely operate the hydro from a desk.

Security restriction is a poor reason also; fisherman are very observant and provide reasonable eye and ears to any funny business that might occur.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=bfish;26960]JMO, but I think you hit on something here. I believe that rather than spending money on putting in tailwater camera, sirens,horns etc they would rather have blanket coverage of having no one around, making it easier to remotely operate the hydro from a desk.

All of TVA's dams are remote operated from a basement in Chattanooga already. I would also say that there is much more danger involved for the fishermen who race up to the large dams on the Tennessee river with multiple generators running compared to the relatively smaller plants on the Cumberland system.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbus View Post
All of TVA's dams are remote operated from a basement in Chattanooga already. I would also say that there is much more danger involved for the fishermen who race up to the large dams on the Tennessee river with multiple generators running compared to the relatively smaller plants on the Cumberland system.
Yeah I know TVA's are remotely operated, but they have cameras to be sure the tailrace is clear before generation changes occur.
Just an FYI but Cordell Hull is 100 megawatt facility, Chickamauga is 119 megawatt, very similar in output.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 AM

There are areas on the Ohio River restricted to boat access below dams posted as "stay back x feet" (usually 150 if I remember correctly). This is somewhat understandable from a safety perspective though I can tell you that many fisherman ignore this rule. Also, many fisherman are perplexed when they find a ticket in the mail spawning from their registration numbers being noted.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:01 PM

i go to wheeler dam in alabama several times a year to catfish. when this goes into effect i'll start making many extra trips down there and i'll start going to kentucky and ohio and let them benefit from my business/tax dollars.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:04 PM

so basically the corporal gets to decide if tennessee loses revenue or not. that's a powerful man.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Owner and Administrator

Default Here is a thought on this subject <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWalker View Post
There are areas on the Ohio River restricted to boat access below dams posted as "stay back x feet" (usually 150 if I remember correctly). This is somewhat understandable from a safety perspective though I can tell you that many fisherman ignore this rule. Also, many fisherman are perplexed when they find a ticket in the mail spawning from their registration numbers being noted.
TWRA Is an Agency ... Not a Bureacracy... All of your fees etc, lic, etc ... Boat registration goes to TWRA ... My Thought on this is since TWRA is fighting this as well ........ TWRA does not have to tell the US Corps of ENG... Anything... What #'s belong to Who ... And like someone has already stated TWRA does not have to Police This ... .... <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 11-29-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Could this be terrorist related? Possibly thinking of terrorists blowing up hydroelectric dams?

Imagine if Old Hickory sluice gates were blown, dropping the lake level 20 ft. What would the downstream flood of water do to Nashville and other cities downstream?

Just a different train of thought.

I fish the turbulent waters of Old Hickory and would hate to see it placed off limits, but I'd hate it more if folks got flooded by a blown up dam.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Owner and Administrator

Default I think maybe this is a stretch .. <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
Could this be terrorist related? Possibly thinking of terrorists blowing up hydroelectric dams?

Imagine if Old Hickory sluice gates were blown, dropping the lake level 20 ft. What would the downstream flood of water do to Nashville and other cities downstream?

Just a different train of thought.

I fish the turbulent waters of Old Hickory and would hate to see it placed off limits, but I'd hate it more if folks got flooded by a blown up dam.
(I think you ment to say Flood Gates)

I keep hearing about the Terrorists angle ... Question 1 ... How many dams have you heard of that have been targeted or blown ... World wide .. None ... Answer to question 1 .. The corps wants control ... Safety and terrorists want fly in Middle Tennessee Or shall I say Float and that is what the Corps is pushing !!

For the last 30 years we have lost 14 lives below dam discharge ... Because you have people that don't follow safety rules and common sense. Check and see how many people who have died in Tennessee in the past 30 years who were not wearing PFD's ''Life jackets..I will gaurantee it will be over 500.

Bottom line ... Terrorists Want to Kill Masses of people ... Flooding won't do it below Old Hickory ...The flood of 2010 proved that (that the corps caused by not wanting to flood the High rent district of Hendersonville and sent it down the pipe line to Nashville when they opened the flood gates) ... Center Hill, Dale Hollow, Cheatham ... etc ... They will only get cows ... and not Masses of infidels !! . <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 01-08-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:43 PM

i don't believe it's terrorist related, but they may say that so everyone will shut up. didn't some guys a few years back try to blow up percy priest dam or at least there was a plot to do it? it was locals i believe.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 PM

almost 200 people have drowned on priest, i wonder how many on old hickory and all of the other lakes. i would say combined it would exceed 800.