Thread: Alphahawk
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 08:49 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I have a question for you. I was watching the latest Major League Fishing show and Chris Lane made a comment about smelling bream beds. You have such a vast experience fishing for panfish so I thought about you when I heard him say this. Is this something you have noticed, and if so; what do they smell like? I just thought it was a strange comment and I'm not sure if he was pulling our leg or what?
Oh yes you can smell them.....I would describe it as a musk fish type smell.....many have said it smells like cucumber or waremellon.....but I’ve not smelled that. It sure makes ones head turn when you smell it. The problem is if there is a slight breeze it can blow that smell quite a ways.....you may not always be right beside it....also you can only smell those beds if they are very shallow. Over the past 19 years I have done the legwork to find bluegill beds and most of the time I can count on most of those beds producing year after year. But by far my best purchase I ever made was a side imaging sonar......and now that I have the Mega si it is even better. These units will put you on bedding bluegill in a hurry. Last spring I fished up in Nickajack Lake for the first time ever with my boat. I had fished a couple of spots from the bank for crappie for years there but never put my boat in the lake. This past spring was simply awesome....finding shell cracker.....red breast sunfish beds for weeks. I did all that with side imaging.

Regards