View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 08:47 PM

Default Watts Bar Dam 12-31-17

Spent a few days in Fairfield Glade this weekend so me and my brother decided to hit Watts Bar Dam for a change in water. Met a boat coming in as we were heading out and they said they were getting some cats and they had to swap coolers. So we found a ton of bait around the lock and even with my rusty throws, we got a ton of 3" threadfins. We boated some really nice cats and lost a ton more somehow. They about ripped the rod outta your hands but still didnt get stuck. After that slowed down we did some jigging down river. That was a bust as the day before they were pushing 45k and when we got there it was just 10k so the water dropped 6'-7' overnight scattering the toothy fish we were trying for. At the tail end of deep deep hole we found the mother school of white bass. These fish were stacked from 18' down to almost 30' on the break and ran for about 50 yards. We boated a few and had a few more misses ut they wouldnt commit to anything. Live minnow, bobby garlands, spoons, twisters all produced a single fish. By now it was getting dark so we motored back up to the generators for the marble eyed fishies we were after. The wind, now howling and swirling made it a real treat in the dark to try to cast, retrieve and control the boat. The guys that knew the hot stretch were hanging tight and doing pretty well. I got one nice walleye the first pass. It was just too difficult to work the light jig in high winds so we took a few more explative filled passes and headed to the ramp. Shame too, if the wind wasnt howling i think we could have done really good.
Oh well i guess, still great to finally get the boat wet for the first time since september.
Water was clear and in the mid 40's.
On a final note, my wife and i adopted a newborn baby boy back on november 29th so little man has really cut into my jigging scene this year...lol. Adoption....now THAT is a stressful ordeal guys! Lol. Add to that in the process of building a new house!!! Whew!!! Been a wild ride the past month!
Heres to a great new year and new fishing memories guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171230_173655.jpg (1.68 MB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 20171230_125905.jpg (1.96 MB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20171230_124153.jpg (2.62 MB, 53 views)
File Type: jpeg 6196.jpeg (664.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20180101_080151.jpg (1.99 MB, 59 views)