View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 09:59 PM
TN Transplant

Default For those that have owned/fished a Gheenoe, Riverhawk, Santee

This style of boat has really caught my eye as of late. I have seen a ton of them on the Caney and always thought of them as just a river boat. However after seeing how many of these style of boats are used for flats fishing, it made me think about them a little different.

I'm currently fishing out of a 1448 aluminum mod-V with a 25hp. I do alittle bit of everything with it but I'm mainly a bass and trout fisherman. I've had it in some pretty nasty conditions and run the Caney on high water and it has done fine. However, it's just not very comfortable for my wife and little boy. It isn't really ideal for any kind of fishing either. It's also going to need a good bit of work in the near future.

That's what made me think about this style of boat, particularly the Santee center console model. It looks like it could be more comfortable for my wife to ride in and have a larger deck for bass and fly fishing. I also love the fact that this style of boat would be cheap on the front end and cheap/easy to maintain. My biggest concern would be how it would handle rough water. I fish JPP, OH, and the Cumberland quite a bit. All of them can get a little rough from boat traffic at times. I just don't want to feel unsafe once the pleasure traffic hits the lake. My boat now isn't particularly stable but it is fairly deep so I don't really worry about large wakes.

If anyone that has owned or fished out of this style of boat could give me their thoughts, I would appreciate it. I'm going to try and go look at one sometime next month but I would love to hear what others think.