Thread: Gsp 1/25
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 09:47 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTrevecca View Post
Hey Merv... we need to talk about your gray line bait tank. I've kept 20-30 Threadfin alive for several days in the middle of the summer in mine. The first two hours are the most crucial. I use 1 cup of salt for every 10 gallons of water or 3 cups for a full tank, chlorine remover (if using city water), and 1 cap full of shad keeper. For the first 2 hours after catching them I change or clean the filters frequently. After a couple hours the fish 're establish their slime coat and settle down which keeps the water clean. I also "purge" my baits by putting them in a holding bucket that has lake water in it for the first 5 to 10 minutes. This is when the shad poop and puke the most, right after they come out of the net. This initial bit of waste produces a lot of ammonia which contaminates the bait tank. After 5 to 10 minutes in the holding bucket I transfer the baits into the bait tank. If I am going to keep the baits overnight I do a partial water change every 8-12 hours replacing about 20 gallons of water and adding 2 cups of salt per the original formula.

I know this sounds like a lot of maintenance and in some respects it is. You are absolutely correct that the filter system on the blue water is superior but you should be getting very similar results with the gray line with more frequent filter cleaning/replacement.

Bait is high maintenance but oh so important and valuable. There is nothing quite like a 10 inch gizzard shad with a lot of life in him taunting a big ole water zebra. They just can't resist. It's worth every bit of effort.

And.... you should be able to keep gizzards much longer and with less maintenance than than Threadfin.

That's all I have to say about that. I have the itch to fish REALLY bad right now. Here fishy fishy....

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
I believe I outlined my tank techniques. 1 cup of salt 2 oz of G Juice (bluestuff, water treatment, used lake water from the canal, 1/4 cup shad keeper.

The filtering system on my bait tank didn't even get dirty event though I had about 70 threadfins in there. Did not realize how many I had until I had to clean them out and drain the 30 gal tank. This was from one throw of the cast net.

The tank has two pumps. The lower one circulates the water and (supposedly) injects air from a tube coming in from the top of the tank. NOT! The tube connecting the metering valve on the outside of the tank to the water injection nozzle on the lower pump always comes disconnected.

The upper pump is supposed to draw water from the bottom of the tank and spew it out the top and over into the filter box. It does not pick up the scales and deliver them to the filter. My filters aren't even dirty enough to require cleaning after running overnite. Poor filtering system on this new tank.

Aero has come up with a new/different filtering system on his tank. I'll see how it works on his tank and maybe try that.