View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 05:50 PM

Default Launching boat by yourself

I'm just curious as to how you guys that fish by yourself launch your boat. I fish by myself a lot and launch myself all the time. Here's my system: I stage in the parking lot and get the boat ready for launch. Next I back my boat almost all the way down the ramp. I get out and unroll quite a bit of strap on my trailer winch while leaving the strap attached to the boat. Next I back my boat slowly into the water until my boat slides off the trailer and then I pull forward a bit until the strap gets tight and my front trailer rails are just above the water. Then, I get out and step on my trailer and hold the strap and walk the trailer until I can unhook my boat and get in. Last I motor to the dock or bank and park my truck.

There is probably a better way. That's why I am asking what you guys do. I never had anyone teach me how to drive a boat or anything that goes with it. This just seemed to be what I started doing. I've only ever had a couple hiccups. Once I launched at daylight at Cairo boat ramp. I accidentally unhooked the strap and had to strip down and take a swim after my boat that morning. The other was on Xmas a couple weeks ago. I was launching at DH and lost my footing on the trailer and had to jump in the water up to my knees so I wouldn't fall. My feet never got as cold as I thought they would. I just rang my socks out when I parked the truck.