Thread: Hey Randy
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 08:47 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohands25 View Post
Got my hands on some Varivas super ester. Next question: What kind of knot for line to leader and how do I know it's tight with 2.3 lb test (haha)? Thanks, Scott
Many good knots...Buccaneer mentioned one. I use the 5 turn surgeons knot as it is easy for an arthritic older man with fumble fingers to tie. If you watched my video on the Bouz Drag Checker you can see the 5 turn is as strong as the line....as long as it is cinched down smoothly as we should do with any knot. When I didn’t cinch knots down correctly I only had 80 percent of line strength. Using that device really opened my eyes to how much strength we lose when a knot is poorly tied. As I’ve gotten older I get lazy with the knots. I did a lot of testing with that knot......had line all over the floor most of a day.....my wife wasn't too happy....LOL. I also saved some leader-line ties that I cut off on a fishing trip when I would retie. I tested 6 of those when I got home. Each one had landed 6 smallish white bass. All the knots broke at 1 pound....50 percent less than the line strength. Just goes to show how even smaller fish can wear on a knot.

Regards