View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
First off in my experience, BUC is right, I have found Merc's draw Dirt Dobbers like Magnets.. 10 to 1 over other brands and I don't know why!! ... The pee tube is called the "tail tell" ... and really it's primary purpose is to indicate that you do have water flow through the motor that can be physically seen with the EYE, It is a parallel water flow ckt from the main cooling flow. The thermostat does not enter the picture when it comes to Tail Tell Flow.. If you notice, even before the motor hits and starts with just the Electric starter motor you have Tail Tell flow, and immediately after it starts and it is dead cold... Note: Outboard Thermostats don't control water flow like automotive thermostats do.

But with that said ... It could be totally stopped up and you could still have sufficient water flow through the engine and the primary discharge of the water is either through the prop or exhaust housing port depending on Brand, model and year. Now if the Tail Tell was stopped up your water pressure would increase not decrease. Example. Like putting your thumb over the end of a Garden Hose, restricted water flow but increased pressure... As far as the temp sensors, The are usually located near the cylinders and Heads which get the hottest. I am always suspect of Water pump impellers when it comes to over temp and flow indications.

TR didn't you just have your lower unit rebuilt again .. I am sure your mechanic installed a new Water Imp. It's right there on top when he dropped the unit... <'TK><
I told you I don't know anything about motors! I do know that my motor does not pee well at idle until it gets warm. It will just spit water at idle when first cranked up. I have been told by several people that this is normal for my motor. I know Adrian has the exact same motor and his acts the same. Yes I did just have the lower unti rebuilt and I was told a brand new impeller was installed.

After reading your post my guess is that the clogged hose didn't cause my alarm the other day. Maybe I should have ran the boat a little longer today to see if I could get an alarm. I ran it for 15-20 minutes with no issues and loaded it up because I didn't have time to stay and fish