View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 04:35 PM
Flatrock

Default Bait Casters vs Open face

While I was at the fishing show at the expo, I spoke with a couple sellers that almost had me convinced on buying a baitcaster. They claimed technology has greatly improved since I was a kid (TV's were black & white back then and I was the remote). They talked about how thew spool is magnetically controlled now, yadda yadda yadda... All I remember about bait casters is a wicked birds nest everytime I cast and I'd have to sit there and unspool half the line to clear it up.

I found open face to be relatively simple and straight forward kind of real. Sure it uses 2 hands to cast, but does an extra second matter in the big sceme of things ? Fishing is supposed to be relaxing right ?

Now I'm sure there are guys here that have used both... and being a guy that does like to keep up with the times, I've noticed open faces haven't changed much, but what about bait casters... Have they really improved that much ? Is the techneic more in the wrist action or the thumb resting on the spool as the line comes off the spool at sound breaking speed ?

I apologize if we already had this discussion recently... But I am getting ready to invest in a couple of rod/reels and I'm just wondering which direction I should lean towards. On rod will be a med/heavy for cats and stripes, that will be a open face for sure.