View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 02:47 PM

Absolutely! I have caught plenty from a much worse boat than that.

Few things.

Electronics are a big help. You need to find them before you fish for them. Once you figure out how to locate them, then you can catch them various ways.

Catching them: They turn on and off. So even if you are on them, they may not bite. Because of this, it is easiest to learn striper fishing by fishing with large gizzard shad. If they are biting, they will usually eat a big shad. You can fish shad many ways, but slow trolling and down-lining are most common.

Lures: Anything that resembles a big shad works. Big topwaters, crankbaits, jigs or spoons all work at various times. You can cast or troll. Alabama rigs are really good for trolling. (They were called Umbrella Rigs and were standards in striper fishing long before the Alabama rigs hit the bass fishing world). As for colors, I only use white, chartreuse, or silver, but I am sure they will hit more than those colors.

As for your boat, you need a couple good rod holders for trolling and down-lining. A cast net and livewell for shad is a must for me.

Striper fishing is not really that hard. What is hard is finding feeding fish consistently. They move a lot. When you find feeding fish, most of the standard methods can work. You just need to get your baits to the depth of the fish.

Hope that helps,
Jim