Thread: Catfishing
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
My primary food source is McDonalds but I'd sure rather have a ribeye if your buying. I'm just teasing. But it's crazy what you can catch catfish on. We used to run a lot of trot lines when I was a kid because that's what I loved to do. We used to get a little creative to keep the cost down on bait. We used cut shad sometimes but mostly we would go to the creek with a minnow seine and catch crayfish. But 2 of our best baits were ivory soap and motor oil. For the ivory soap we would take an old cheese cutter and cut it into 1.5 inch squares. It would dissolve in about 8 hours but worked great. For the motor oil we would wrap pantyhose around a hook and dip it in the oil and it also worked great. We were not targeting trophy sized fish but these baits worked very well for all species of catfish.
Shad and skipjack IS the steak to a catfish.. Oh yeah, I remember as a kid my grandfather was a commercial fisherman and he used soap on his trot lines.. He used Zote soap. Again though these kinda baits typically work well for channel cats. I will say this, there is one prepared bait that I will speak for that works well and thats Secret 7 by Team Catfish.