View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 01:18 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Kinda ... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonDaze View Post
This is the answer to many, MANY boat control questions. On my sportfisher, I use tabs more to STEER than to control lift, but with a true deep V there are many differences in the running surfaces.

I've had tabs or added tabs to every boat I've owned, down to 14'. It's like power steering . . . once you have it, you wonder how you ever did without it.
As long as you are on plane ... But the ultimate is twin screws ... My son has a Sea Ray Pachanga with twin 454's ... As you know one prop turns CW and the other turns CCW ... He can turn 360 deg's. in the length of his boat (27 Feet) with out touching the wheel as well as docking it ...

What I found with trying to steer with the tabs on my boat it wasn't efficient ... yes it will steer .. Watch your RPMs and speed .. all you are doing is causing an unnecessary drag on one side or the other ... When all you have to do is turn the wheel a 1/4 turn and accomplish the same thing .. Your boat is perfectly trimmed with out causing this resistance, it is more efficient and easier.. Now my rig had a high torque motor ... I had to stand on the starboard side of the boat to keep the balance even .. It tried to lift the starboard side as heavy as that boat was ..

But if I used either tab to balance, it would do it but at the same time you saw the plow of water stream from that tab... That is like going down the interstate at 80 MPH with your foot on the brake or flying at cruising speed with your flaps down ... ... I have used them to impress someone but it was at my fuel expense ... ... <'TK><