Thread: Bighead carp
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2017, 11:45 AM

Fortunately, no Bighead or Silver carp are in JPP. Not sure about OH, but they're coming. Cheatham Lake is full of them, as is the Cumberland up to the OH Dam spillway. Halli is right, it's a matter of time before they lock through. Being a writer, I did an article on the Asian Carp issue a few years back, so I did a lot of research on them and their movement. They prefer moving water since they're plankton eaters, which also makes them hard to catch on rod and reel.

Our common carp are much different in looks and feeding habits. They are much easier to catch too since their diet is largely insects, crawdads, worms, etc. and they will take a fly. For non-fly fishermen, they'll take a worm too if fished with finesse. They are one of the easiest spooked fish I've ever angled for, which is why I like the challenge to do so. Trans Sportsman, yep, tons of common carp in Normandy. I make a few trips each year there for carp, as well as crappie.

Attached are a common carp(gold one) and silver carp (sub specie of the bighead).

Last edited by Saltwaterwalt; 01-28-2018 at 10:27 PM.