Thread: Rainy Lake
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
You need to fish Dale Hollow and or Center Hill in the spring.....you can get those numbers.....many of them 18-21 inches. The past 2 springs have not been great spawns though. It is not Rainy Lake but in a good spring they can really produce.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not even close Alphahawk, no comparison between Ontario fishing for smallies and fishing Dale Hollow or Center Hill.

You may can get those numbers from this trip, but not out typical numbers. Typically we catch 150 or smallmouth per day, average weighing 3-1/2 lbs and a few times during a week we find a school of 4 to 4 1/2 pounders. 5 lb fish aren't common for us but we usually catch a few. And we could catch more but my brother and myself take care of my dad. He does not tie a line, untangle a reel, unhook a fish, set up camp or anything. He is there to do what he wants and can, and he is in good shape, but we do our best to make the trip about him.

One evening a couple years ago, for close to 4 hours, my dad and myself had found a mayfly hatch on small island. We circled the island for the whole time and caught a smallie almost every cast on a tiny torpedo and they were ALL 4 to 4 1/2 lb bass. Don't think that will ever happen here.

Main reason why our numbers were down is we decided to stay in a cabin and picked the wrong place. We wanted to fish a different part of the lake and for other reasons we waited to long to get in where we could have fished the area we normally fish even on a rough day. We normally camp in a tent on an island in the area we like to fish. The cabins were ok, but far enough from where we like to fish that a couple days we couldn't make the run in my boat. Well my brother and myself could, but we were not going to take my dad through 20+ mph winds on Rainy Lake. If you don't know Rainy is big (about 2-1/2 times the size of Kentucky Lake) and can get rough. If not worse, just as bad as Kentucky Lake.

And we almost never have had another boat even remotely come close to us fishing. We rarely see another boat and if you do, they are probably pike or walleye fishing.

Also, catching walleye in Rainy, is crazy. I actually have left a spot we were fishing there because we were catching to many walleyes. We ate walleye a couple times every day we were there.

Last edited by Headhunter; 07-11-2018 at 10:13 AM.