View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 06:28 PM

Default Sturgeon sighting on the Caney

My dad and I put the kayaks in at the dam this morning. We threw rooster tails and small rapalas as we tried to stay ahead of the mob of canoes behind us. We caught alot of Rainbows and Browns ( mostly stocker size) with a fast retrieve in the morning but had to slow it way down as the fog burned off. Best spinner color was white with silver blade and the rapalas were trout color and Dad was using his trusty silver one. Fast forwarding, we were about a 1/4 mile upstream from Happy Hollow when my Dad hollers at me and says there is a Sturgeon under his kayak. Of course I thought he was full of sh*t as I paddled over and sure enough it was sitting there on the bottom in about 4 ft of water. As I paddled up you could see the whiskers on its snout. I would have never believed him if I hadn't seen it myself. Our best length guesstimate was in the 3-4ft range.
After some quick research there has been at least two other reports of Sturgeon below Center Hill dam. Chalk it up for another great memory fishing with Dad.