Thread: Too Much Bait
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 07:19 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
My most frustrating days are when there is bait everywhere and fish blowing up everywhere and not being able to get bit. A couple years ago in the fall, I was fishing OH. I was fishing a little flat pocket in a creek that had bait everywhere. There would be several fish constantly busting bait on the surface in all directions. I spent several days in there trying to figure out how to catch those fish. I would catch one every now and then, but I never could figure out how to catch those fish.
Most guys want to throw too big of a bait. When your graph is full of bait so thick the graph can't read bottom, the bait is usually very small.
I'm catching most of my fish (LM, whites, and hybrids) on two inch swim baits.
I troll A-rigs and put 2 inch Powerbait swimbaits on them.
My three, four, and five inch swimmers weren't getting hit, so I threw a cast net one day to see what the bait was like. My 3/8 mesh net kept coming in empty even though my graph was full of bait. So one day I took my creek cast net (1/4 inch mesh, multifilament) and threw it at the mess on the graph. I had so many 1-2 inch shad in it, I could hardly pick it up. I didn't bring the shad into the boat, just shook most of the bait out. I pulled in a few just to get a good look. That is what made.me downsize my baits and really upped.my catch ratio.