View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonDaze View Post
It's the reason I don't enter pay-to-enter tournaments. It's amazing how little money it takes for people to steal. From what I've seen and heard second hand over the years; I'd guess at LEAST 40% of the take-home earnings are via theft.

I'm happy to give to charities when I know 100% goes to the charity (volunteer staff, and no cash payouts); but those are seen very seldom. Don't think I've ever seen one in Middle TN.

Disheartening, to say the least; but this guy is just the one making a little ripple; he decided to go big. The rest of the petty theft adds up to the biggest money writ large.

I agree with you that people cheat in bass fishing tournaments. Word tends to get around on the guys to look out for. I do not believe that the number is anywhere near 40% of the money won is by cheaters. There are a couple guys that I keep an eye on if I'm fishing a tournament that I know they are signed up. I have no concrete proof of anyone that I know of that cheats in bass fishing but I have my suspicions and know the character of a couple people. If I had concrete proof then I would certainly put their name out there. I fish tournaments because I'm very competitive. I enjoy fishing against people I'm suspicious of because when I beat them it's even sweeter knowing they could cheat and still not get me.

There is a guy that I know very well that will not speak to me to this day because I outed him as a cheater. I have personally witnessed this man cheat at golf and at poker. One of my friends was gonna have a high stakes golf match with this man and I warned him that he would probably get cheated. A friend of the cheater over heard this conversation and the cheater has not spoken to me since even though I've seen him several times. The cheater also happens to fish some of the biggest bass tournaments in the south east and fishes all of the big tournaments around here. He has won a couple of big tournaments and I can only assume that he somehow cheated because Of his past. The crazy thing about this guy is that he's actually really good at fishing, golf, and poker. He doesn't have to cheat to be successful but he has done it anyway. I have to say that I've never witnessed or have first hand knowledge that he's cheated in bass tournaments but I'm always skeptical when I see that he's won a tournament or cashed a check.

Last edited by Texas_Rig; 07-09-2019 at 12:23 AM.