View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 03:24 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickfan70 View Post
I have a question on why a leader with 2lb line is it less likely to be seen by the trout than the 2lb mono? I've never caught a brook trout sounds like Caney has lots of them;do you catch many rainbow or browns near the dam or just the brookies?

I’ve caught a lot of rainbows.....browns and brook out of the Caney. I do not fish it as much as I used to....bad knees and too much fat keep me from wading as years gone by. With trout a fluorocarbon leader is a must. We can fish side by side...use same lure and same 2# test line.......if I have an FC leader and you don’t I will out catch you around 8 to 1. This is really crucial for rainbows. They are sight feeders. Rainbows love the sunshine...browns act in many ways like a largemouth. They love to be around wood....in the shadows. That sunshine will reflect much more light on mono than it does on FC leader. I learned most of my trout fishing from my nephew and Jeff Smith....the owner of Trout Magnet. Brook trout are extremely aggressive....but if I am fishing trout waters I always have a section of FC leader on. I’m heading out to fish the Little Red with our guide...Lowell Myers...and one day with Jeff Smith in about a month....really looking forward to get back out there. The Caney has an ample population of the 3 trout specie mentioned. Some years at certain times of the year the brooks will concentrate in certain areas. This is one of those times. I am hoping to hit it again this Saturday if they do not turn the sluice on. I have plenty of pics of browns and rainbows I have caught but I hate to go through the almost 4000 pics I have on here to find them...but here is a pic of a nice brown my son caught on a Trout Magnet....2# test line...and a section of FC leader. The answer to your question is yes...you can catch as many rainbows...browns close to the dam.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk