View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 10:31 AM

Default Learning is FUN!

I fished OH for a little while yesterday. The bite started very slow for me but I pulled into one pocket and everything changed. I started catching a lot of small fish and then I caught a 3lber that sure bit a little different. It took the fish biting a couple times for me to catch it. I don't have hardly any experience with catching fish on beds but I was sure that's what just happened. The water in this pocket was 64 degrees and everything else I had fished was 57-60 degrees. I went to the shallowest parts of this pocket I could find and sure enough I could see a lot of fish cruising around the bank and I could see light colored circles.

I pitched beside this one log and I could see a wake coming at my bait and she bit but I missed her. I couldn't believe I didn't see her because My bait was in less than a foot of water. I positioned the boat so I could see a little better and sure enough I could see 2 bass on a bed and one that looked to be about 4-6lbs. I made another pitch and caught the smaller fish. It was a 15 incher so I put him in the livewell. I pitched in there again and this time she got my craw. I messed with her some more with no success. I threw my buzzbait in there and she hammered it but came off. I confirmed that it was a really nice fish. After about 15 minutes of trying to catch her she wasn't interested anymore. I fished around for about 30 minutes and then came back before I had to leave. My first pitch back in there and she smoked my bait again. Once again I hooked her and she came off.

I never did get her to bite again, but it sure was a lot of fun watching it all unfold. These are the days that I cherish the most about fishing. I feel like I learned some things yesterday that can't be taught but only experienced if that makes any sense.