View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 01:06 PM

Lots of good advice here already!

I spend most of my time during the winter on JPP or Old Hickory.

As stated JPP has some rock piles and long points that can be hazards especially during the winter. The lower end between Hobson pike and the Dam is pretty safe all year. Just pay attention to those little white buoys that you can’t read unless you’re on top of them.

Old Hickory can have a lot of floating debris coming down the river after a lot of rain. Also lots of mud flats that come up from the channel pretty quickly. Just keep it between the navigation buoys and you’re good to go! (“Red Right Return” - if you are traveling toward the source of the lake/river/creek the red nav buoys should be on your right)

Pay attention to your GPS and run the channels until you get more comfortable with the lakes you are on. No shame in keeping speed under control until you get a feel for the boat as well.

Make sure you prep your boat to launch in the parking lot and not on the ramp. Take your time when prepping to launch. It’s easy to get excited to get on the water and forget an important step - plug, transom straps, Boat key, tilt/trim lock, PFD!!!, etc (promise I haven’t forgotten all of these at one time or another).

If the boat will not start check a couple simple things first:
-Is the boat in Neutral?
-Is the safety lanyard connected?
-Is the battery switch on?
-Did the fuel line get disconnected?

Have fun out there!