View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 11:15 PM
Owner and Administrator

Red face Evinrude is dead after 113 years

I read it on the AOMCI forum first then I googled it and read the article. Basically BRP is getting out of the outboard business completely and supposedly signed an agreement with Mercury as a supply line for their boat companies (AlumaCraft, Manitou and I think the other is an Australian company). I would assume they have to supply parts for ten years but since they are a Canadian company they may not I don't know how the law reads.... Now with this said BRP four stroke Power heads are Suzuki's . Like Merc's are Yamaha's so parts will still be available ... My opinion ... TK

Yesterday Bombardier Recreation Products BRP announced the end of life for Evinrude Outboards. Evinrude outboards will no longer be manufactured after 113 years. Evinrude is dead long live Evinrude.
BRP exits outboard motor business. Canadian company BRP stunned the recreational boating industry with their announcement it will immediately stop making Evinrude outboards. “Our outboard engines business has been greatly impacted by COVID-19, obliging us to discontinue production of our outboard motors immediately.
Canadian company BRP has announced it will stop making the Evinrude outboard boat engines.

BRP, in a statement on its website, said, that it has “re-oriented its marine business by focusing on the growth of its boat brands with new technology and innovative marine products. We will discontinue production of Evinrude E-TEC and E-TEC G2 outboard engines. Our Sturtevant, WI, facility, will be repurposed for new projects to pursue our plan to provide consumers with an unparalleled experience on the water.”

The company said it is "committed to our Buy, Build, Transform Marine strategy which has been underway since 2018 with the acquisition of Alumacraft and Manitou boat companies in the U.S., followed by the acquisition of Australian boat manufacturer Telwater in 2019.

Company president and CEO José Boisjoli said, “Our outboard engines business has been greatly impacted by COVID-19, obliging us to discontinue production of our outboard motors immediately. This business segment had already been facing some challenges and the impact from the current context has forced our hand.”

The company said it has signed an agreement with Mercury Marine "to support boat packages and continue to supply outboard engines to our boat brands.

We will continue to supply customers and our dealer network service parts and will honour our manufacturer limited warranties, plus offer select programs to manage inventory. These decisions will impact 650 employees globally."

The company plans to expand its role in pontoon and aluminum fishing markets.

It also will consolidate its Alumacraft operations from two locations to one in St. Peter, Minn. The Arkadelphia, Ark., plant will be closed.

BRP also makes Ski-Doo and Lynx snowmobiles, Sea-Doo water craft and Alumacraft, Manitou, Quintrex, Stacer and Savage boats along with the Rotax marine propulsion syst......
[/COLOR]