Thread: Roll Call 9/6-8
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Flatline see pic here and on my previous page on this pistol .. It is a five shot 22 Mag. I removed the smaller grips and added the larger ones, it is a single action with a safety system that the hammer does not rest on the shell.... It has a muzzle velocity 2200 FPS (feet per second with Horneday fire tips) My 357 Mag is 1400 FPS .. Same as a 30-30...

The bore is a 22 but the cartrage has a bigger Diameter and it is longer in length. North American Arms has a very nice product line.... TK

I have to admit I like that little thing, but I have an issue with the muzzle velocity, and I will tell you why.

Statistically most of your defensive shootings are within 5 to 15 feet, according to my CCW instructor. A 9mm is roughly 1210 FPS, they are also known to go thru a person providing it doesn't hit bones. 22 mags is 2200 FPS, almost double the velocity.

God forbid if I find myself in this situation as to where I find myself having to shoot someone... I don't want to find out that a innocent by-stander got it too because the bullet went thru the offender. Also I can't imagine a round that goes thru someone at such a high speed will do much harm as the round is not going to have time to expand.

I know I carry a 9 mm, but it also has 7-8 rounds. I like a .45 for the simple reason that the velocity is only around 800 FPS and is known for its stopping power.

Apparently modern testing of ammo includes shooting thru 4 layers of cloths in front of a gel block. Ideal penetration is between 12-18".

Because of the above is why I'd love to find myself a usedDerringer .45 ACP (new is too expensive for my blood)