View Single Post
Old 08-19-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rig View Post
I don’t striper fish that often. I really only target them at the steam plant in the winter time but to me they are the most rewarding fish to catch. Especially ones over 30lbs. They are so strong and they are special memories for me. I’ve caught probably a dozen over 25lbs and every single one of them was on a 6xd with 12lb line. I’ve tried to go to 20lb line but I’ve never caught one on 20lb and I always end up switching back to my normal deep cranking bass rod. It’s a lot of fun but I’ve also broke off quite a few times. It makes me feel bad knowing that there are a few big stripers swimming around with a crankbait stuck in their mouth. I finally quit using the 12lb line for that reason and I haven’t caught one since. But I don’t spend much time doing it. 12lb line with a good drag will certainly hold up to a 40lb striper but not when their teeth are rubbing the line. A lot of the big ones I’ve caught I only got in because they were hooked outside the mouth. What are your rod, reel, and line setups that you use to catch them? Those are some nice fish man and I hope you catch a bunch more
Use 4 or 6 lb test. It fits between the teeth, therefore preventing the friction of larger diameter line.