View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 07:04 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile bfish your right about the Tarpon Reel <'TK><

"TK, spinning gear is used for Tarpon because of line capacity. Spinning reels (for tarpon) hold almost triple the line that a similar weight baitcaster holds. Also up until recently, baitcasters were much more prone to rusting than spinning."

bfish, yes the spinning reel was enormous ... But it still did not have enough line ... It was awkward for me to try to pump and crank this reel.. The Captain had to chase the Tarpon so I could start taking up line.

Now as far as a Bait Casters are more prone to rusting,(UNTIL RECENTLY)

Only if they were built during or before WWII. For the past 50 years most reels, except YOKOMOTO SPECIALS from Lord knows where; were made of Non-Ferrous materials (No Iron properties) especially name brand Saltwater rigs ... Now if you spot a green buildup, that is caused by electrolysis, with out proper care or maintenance ... Any reel (spinning or bait caster, salt or fresh water) that you see rust on is made of low quality materials . I bought a Martin Fly Reel ... With in a year it had rusted parts. My Orvis and Shakespeare Fly Reels which I had had for decades were Rust free... <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 02-15-2018 at 12:12 AM.