Thread: Saugertime
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 08:56 AM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Default Saugertime

fished with TNBRONZEBACK yesterday up around Rome.
We hit the water about 7:10, 14 degrees.
Motored up to his favorite spot and started fishing.....well, he did.
I've fished with him before and know his feelings get hurt pretty easily so for the first two hours, I left the plastic sleeve covering my hook so no fish could get stuck.
(If John's guest catches more fish than him, he'll fake a phone message from the wife, telling him he's urgently needed at home). Not wanting to go home early, I sat in the back, every once in awhile complaining that "dang! missed another one!"
So, John is in the front SNAGGING one here and there, all shorts, and he decides we'll move downriver to another "hotspot".
Get there and I decide to take off my hook protector and immediately hook a fish. Beautiful fish, vivid colors, but.....short. And I got the stinkeye from John, prolly cause I caught the first fish from his honeyhole.
Fished this stretch a few times with John boating another short. I had already replaced my hook protector, not wanting to incur the wrath of Captain Blythe.
We wandered into a creek area and started marking schools of fish off the bottom. Knowing they wouldn't be walleye or saugers, I figgerd to catch a couple, John wouldn't mind me catching a couple of oddball fish, would he?
Putting down a.minnow on a small hook, I hook up with a fish, got my 6' light action rod bowed up good. Landed a chunky LM bass and tossed it back.
A few minutes later, I landed a nice crappie, tossed it back.
Now Capt is getting agitated with me catching all the fish and states "there's no fish here, lets move.
OK!
Motored back to our original spot and I looked at my watch. Almost time to get off the water and we ain't put a keeper in the boat so I figured it was time to take off the gloves, so to speak.
Took off my hook protector and commenced to fish with my special jigging motion, that I can't reveal here, and BANG, hooked into a nice 16 inch female sauger, fat, like the guy in the front of the boat.
He, naturally, observed my techniques and copied, and BOOM! he brings in a fat 15 inch female.
I figgerd we're in the keeper zone and gonna load the boat with keeper fish....WRONG!
Captain Ahab decides that he has to go home NOW! I'm thinkin he's coming back the next day and clean up on'em, but hey, it's his boat, I can't say nothin.
So, if y'all hapen to get an invite to fish with TNBronzeback, don't come back and say somebody shudda told me what it's like to fish with him.
Consider yourself informed!