Thread: Hookset yips?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 05:50 PM

Braid should help, as you mentioned, less stretch. Different brands of flouro stretch more than others; some copoly/mono will actually stretch less than some flouro.

With smallies, they tend to either inhale it in place, or grab it and run. If they are just inhaling, maybe try some scent to keep them hanging on longer. Also if you can get away with it, try lighter weight to keep them holding it longer. Similarly, can you get away with exposing the hook? Maybe your crowding the hook gap, say upsize your hook or slim down your bait, just a thought.

You don't mention the action of the rods, but faster action will help too (i.e. bends closer to the tip, rather in the middle of the rod when loaded). For me, this means lower power rods for the sensitivity, in my price range (say medium). Heavy powered rods, just don't transmit that initial vibration very quickly for me.

For deep water, I like pointing my rod tip at them. Then I sweep to the side (parallel to the water), with a wrist snap at the end. A lifting/upward hookset doesn't work well for me in deep water.

Last edited by bfish; 10-22-2018 at 05:54 PM.