View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 12:03 AM
Owner and Administrator

Cool Bait Caster vs. Spinning Gear <'TK><

When I started to get serious about fishing and fishing tackle in the 60's, The way to go, as told by my Novice Peers was Bait Casters. So pinching my money and hiding my treasure from my wife I purchased a ABU Garcia Ambassador Reel, Then Made in Sweden and top of the line and the choice for Bass Pros (Bass Organizations and Tourneys was in it's infants e) And very $$. Then in the 70's the Lews Speed Spool came out... I think the first with Magnets ... It was smaller but for me I loved my Ambassador. I bought a ABU clone made by Dawia ... The biggest piece of Junk I had ever bought .. Good money spent which was hard to come by for me ... I know they have improved over the decades ... But that was the first and last Dawia product I have ever bought.

So like most, Bird nests was about every other cast for a while... like anything else, practice, practice, Practice, kinda like learning to throw a cast net. Back then there were no magnets for anti Backlash ... all of your resistance and braking was accomplished via slip discs and spool/Bearing pressure. I became pretty proficient. overhead, backhand, underhand and flipping when it came to casting... I started some tourney fishing where if you were going to be successful you had to make a cast 4 times per minute.

The proper way to set up Anti Backlash (as per the book) is to hold the rod at waist level and release the button. Adjust the Anti Backlash so when the lure hits the floor the spool should stop. But to be honest after you get the feel of the reel it will be like another extension of your body.

Use all of the tools that the reel provides and use what works for you. I personally use very little Anti Backlash depending on the lure weight... Like stated in previous post My Thumb is the deciding element for me. But if you are just learning use the adjustment procedure stated above. Start off tight and loosen up as you gain skill and confidence.

Now as far as Spinning Gear ... I use to think this tackle was for light weight spinners and micro weight lures ... Spinning gear was my weapon of choice when it came to catching Skippy's ... Until I ran into Calvin Short, He and his brother Doc who was raised in Celina on Dale Hollow(Smallie country). These guys could do anything with an open face. When it came to casting, they could match my bait caster... I started using a Spinning rod on a larger scale (Bass Size) and got comfortable with it. Not as proficient as what I can do with my bait caster ... But anyone who learns to use the Spinning Gear can do anything a bait caster can do.

Now for me the down side of Spinning Gear, FOR ME, BIG FISH when it comes to big fish. I.E. Stripers, Catfish, etc .... I want a winch! ... I caught a 120 LB Tarpon on a guided trip a few years back, It was released which was my wishes but thought it was going to die do to the spinning gear, it took to long to land it, but it made it! ... (With my stripers I used broom handles for rods and Winches for reels and you still had your hands full of fun.) Now the Tarpon guides used Spinning gear for the reason the guide had to get in front of the pod and cast live bait to the lead fish... Well it was not a pleasurable experience... There is a lot of difference when wrapping a line around a drum from the front than trying to wrap a spool from the side, THERE IS MORE TORQUE WHEN YOU ARE FIGHTING A HEAVY LOAD...

Bottom line .... Use what your comfortable with... And for some it will be a challenge. I have had clients that had problems coordinating the release of the button on a Zebco 404 .... But what ever you do don't give up. The reward will be a fish at the end of your line that you have always dreamed about ... even if it is only 12 inches long ... It pumps you up for the next and bigger one ... <'TK><
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1788.JPG (1.40 MB, 24 views)

Last edited by tkwalker; 02-14-2018 at 01:48 PM.