View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 08:23 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Default Nice finish for the year.

It is rare for me to fish in winter...but on a sunny....no wind day I’ll do it. So off to Nickajack I head this morning. Only 3 boat trailers in the parking lot...hoping no one is on the spot I want to fish. I start out casting a Trout Magnet using some 1.4# test polyester line on the Tict Ice Cube 6’ 9” Mebaru UL rod. I was catching some nice Gills and I decide to make a cast to the wall. I counted down to about 15 feet depth and started my retrieve....felt a very soft tic and set the hook. Well needless to say using 1.4# test line the drag is set pretty light. This fish broke me off.....made another cast and same thing. Then on 3rd cast I got it close to the boat and in the clear water saw it was a chunky white bass. Netted that fish then switched out reels.....swapping the Shimano Twin Power spooled with the 1.4# test with the Daiwa Certate spooled with the SOS 2# test...switched lure to a Midnight Blue ThunderHawk on a 1/8 ounce Dancer jig head....and settled in for a fantastic day. A fish on every cast. When the counter read 150 fish I decided to call it a day...plus I was getting cold. As white bass go they are not big fish.....all of my fish were cookie cutter in the 11-12 inch range. But on the setup I was using they gave me all the flight I wanted....these stripes were “Diggin”. The weather is going to keep me off the water for a while. But the next decent day I will be right back out there. I have been waiting for these fish to move in for 2 months now...they are here. This is the first wave and they will get bigger....and many more of them. As you can see from the sonar pic one could hardly keep the fish off the lure...LOL. Life is good!

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk