View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 03:25 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Wow guys a lot of great answers.

I'll throw my .02 in, and it's a repeat of most everyone else's.

Comfort, comfort, comfort. Try before you buy. Try as many as you can before buying.

I've been kayak fishing since 2009, and I've had 7 different kayaks.

Our first kayaks were Hobie Pro Anglers 14', these in my opinion are the Cadillac of fishing kayaks. We got rid of them after a year and a half due to weight. 3 years later "now" I'm saving up to buy another.

Every kayak I've had has been a Sit on Top and catered to the angler, because that's what I do. I've had kayaks from 11' to 16' and 24" wide to 38" wide.

Narrower and longer will be faster due to less resistance and more waterline. The wider and longer the more stable.

Typically a 13' boat that is 34" wide will be more stable than a kayak that is 10' long and 34" wide.

The shape of the hull has a lot to do with stability also. A pontoon style hull will typically be more stable than a non-pontoon style hull. Boats that have the pontoon style hull are Wilderness System Ride's, and Wilderness Systems Commanders, along with many others.

Comfort is a main concern. If you are not comfortable you will not enjoy it so get a kayak that is big enough for you and your gear, with a good seat. I try to get a kayak that will support me and at least another 200lbs, so the kayaks I gravitate to have at least a 400-450lb or more capacity. If you are pushing the maximum weight limits on your kayak it will be less stable. Modifying and making home brew seats is neat, but by putting something on a kayak that is not designed for it may throw off your balance and negatively effect your performance.

There are many great kayaks out there. The kayak I'm currently in is a Wilderness Systems Ride 135. It is like the SUV of kayaks for me. It doesn't do anything great, but does everything well. I've ran class 3's, paddled 8 miles into the Gulf, paddles up some small creeks, I can stand and flip, and it's big enough for me and my gear.

Like was said earlier stop by a kayak shop geared toward fishing and try a few out. Ask questions.

I like using an actual kayak dealer geared toward fishing because they know what my needs are, they have paddled almost every boat out there, if I have a problem a year or two down the road they will take care of me, if I buy a boat they help me out with a discount on accessories like rod holders, pfd's, paddles, and many other items.