View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 10:47 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfbab View Post
Alpha,
May I ask what model you're looking at right now?
I've been scouring reviews online and the WS Ride 115 and 135 are looking like either one would suit my needs pretty well.
Based on the reviews, the stability sounds amazing in these, although they seem to be a little on the heavy end as well.
I don't think the weight will bother me too much, but I like the idea of max stability assuming they handle reasonably well.
The reviews I'm reading say they aren't the fastest but track well and are almost impossible to tip.
I want to be able to stand up in it and maybe hop out for a swim once in a while as well, which the reviewers say is OK, particularly with the 135.

Also, I will be mounting a Lowrance SI unit on mine, any advice on the transducer location?
Are you using the hull or some sort of arm for yours?

Thx,
Rob

Also Shogun, I'm with you 100%, I love messing with boats almost as much as fishing

I'm getting a Native Slayer Propel 10. I have owned a Ride 115 with the elevated seat......the new seat they have in it now is like sitting in your chair at home......and really enjoyed it. I am a big guy.....296 pounds. One could fall out of the Ride 115 but I would have to do something really stupid on flat water to flip one......I really liked the way the Ride 115 glided through the water. I have stood in the 3 kayaks I have owned just to say I did it....but standing in any kayak is not for old, fat men.....IMHO. Many of the younger guys on here stand and fish with no problems at all...it is just not for me. Those 3 are the Ride 115....Coosa....Big Game Prowler II. The BG II is extremely stable and I always kept the seat in the elevated position. But it is a beast to load and unload. The reason I am going with the Native Slayer Propel 10 is boat control, and the fact the kayak without the drive unit in only weighs 59 pounds. That is a game changer for me. I will still have my Coosa for river fishing. I have a HB 899 si unit mounted with a Liberator transducer arm and it works out great mounting it on the slide track systems that most kayaks have and if they don't you can install it. On the BG II the transducer was mounted at my hip but on the Slayer I will have it in front of me so I can vertical jig. These SOT kayaks are very stable. Many fish all through the winter in them.

Regards