View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNtroller View Post
New bunks are not hard, use one of the existing bunks to build two new ones (or however many needed) at the house/garage, go to the ramp during the week so you can leave the boat tied up at the dock, take all the tools needed, and replace the bunks in the ramp lot. Just clean up your mess afterwards. If you have a tin boat, don't use PT wood, as the chemicals in the wood will leech thru the carpet and cause pitting in the hull over time.

I used pine 2x4's, 2 coats of rattle can paint, then pre-drilled the holes for the bolts, I used T nuts instead of lag bolts this time, then bunk carpet from BPS, Academy, etc., attached with SS staples, loaded 'em in the boat and off to the ramp on a weekday after work, ramp lot was empty.

If the synthetic wood referred to is the composite stuff used for decks and such, I've read where it does not have the structural strength to support the boat over the distance the bunk will span between supports on the trailer. The composite stuff will bow and sag in a short time frame, and is not cheap to buy. Pine 2x4's and paint are cheap, takes a couple hours to do and can replace 'em as needed.
That is how I did mine. It will be easier than mine because you are replacing the wood. Taking off the old carpet and removing the old staples was a big job.

Be sure to use stainless steel staples! I had to order them from Amazon.