FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Meanmouth Bass again (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=13647)

Texas_Rig 08-22-2020 06:15 PM

Meanmouth Bass again

I know I’ve brought this topic up before and I’m not sure if we ever figured out the legal regulations on these fish. I fished the Friday night tournament out of Edgar Evans last night. I had a nice 17” meanmouth. I put it in the livewell not exactly knowing the regulations but I’m pretty sure legally you go by the spotted bass regulations. I talked to the gentleman running the tournament before I weighed in and asked what the size limit was. His answer was “it depends on what it looks like”. Huh? He said if it looks like a spot then weigh as a spot and if it looks like a smallmouth then weigh as a smallmouth. Huh? I said it’s a meanmouth it looks like a hybrid of both. He said bring it up here and we’ll look at it. I brought it up to weigh in and everyone agreed it was a meanmouth but it has to be 18”. It had 90% spotted bass characteristics. It was shaped like a spot, felt like a spot, tooth patch, lateral line of a spot. It’s head and back had smallmouth characteristics. I wanted a picture of this fish soo bad but the guy weighing the fish looked at it and threw it back in the water before I could say anything or argue my point. I showed the fish to several people before weighing the fish in and everyone agreed it was a meanmouth. My main question is does anyone on here have any knowledge from TWRA on these fish. I’ve searched the Internet and have found all kinds of contradicting information.

Texas_Rig 08-22-2020 06:17 PM

Btw.This is the 3rd one I’ve seen and they are the most beautiful fish you could imagine

notorious 08-23-2020 08:05 AM

I would argue Tooth Patch as a determinate.

jaycee 08-23-2020 11:07 AM

Too bad no photo. I would really like to see a visual.

SAMBOLIE 08-23-2020 02:43 PM

Did yours have red eyes or brown eyes?

There are two types of mean mouth bass.

Texas_Rig 08-23-2020 04:56 PM

I don’t know what color the eyes were.

Texas_Rig 08-23-2020 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycee (Post 88126)
Too bad no photo. I would really like to see a visual.

The best description I can give. This fish had the color of a smallmouth, head of a smallmouth, and the back of a smallmouth. The fish was shaped like a spot(football), felt like a spot(kinda rough), the lateral line of a spot which was green unlike the rest of the body, it had a tooth patch on the toungue, and had the belly of a spot and a smallmouth.

Texas_Rig 08-23-2020 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looked very similar to this picture except the top and bottom half of the fish was browner and the middle lateral line was greener

SalmonDaze 08-24-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Rig (Post 88130)
Looked very similar to this picture except the top and bottom half of the fish was browner and the middle lateral line was greener

Looks like a vanilla square back. Not many spots.
:D